Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T - EJ22 swap

92_rugby_subie

I just want to confirm what is needed for this swap... I have been arguing with a friend who doesnt want to pay $1000 for labor on this engine swap plus parts.

His argument:

His "Buddy" does cars. Has done SEVERAL engine swaps into all kinds of cars and built custom frames to fit bigger engines etc. Heres what his friend said:

Yea I got an engine lift man, bring me an engine we will fit it in.

I told him whatever, Ill find him an EJ22 and then I call the front row seat :popcorn: to watch them screw it up 100X before either the motor or the car gets ruined and the owner goes crazy cuz he doesnt have a daily driver anymore.

So he says hes got this project handled for under 1k in parts because all he needs is a low mileage EJ22.

Lets see, I know of these:

Adapter

Timing belt kit (duh, why not do it when you have the engine out)

Wiring harness (trimmed of all the unnecessary crap)

EJ22

Upgraded clutch

Flywheel

What else am I missing?

The car the swap is going into is a 1986 GL-10 Sedan, 4WD Pushbutton, 5 speed manual with 260k.

Lets see, I know of these:

Adapter

Timing belt kit (duh, why not do it when you have the engine out)

Wiring harness (trimmed of all the unnecessary crap)

EJ22

Upgraded clutch

Flywheel

What else am I missing?

The car the swap is going into is a 1986 GL-10 Sedan, 4WD Pushbutton, 5 speed manual with 260k.

In addition to the harness, you need the MAF, and the Transistor, along with MAP sensor and switching solenoids, if Harness is from an OBD II car.

Also, you need a Y-pipe that matches the engine, either single or dual port depending on year of EJ22.

DEFINATLEY will want to add a pitch stopper. EJ manual trans bracket will bolt onto the EA 5spd, then make your stopper to fit.

Unless this "buddy" of his is charging nothing for labor - it's not going to be under $1000.

There is likely close to $1000 in all the support parts minus the engine itself. Seals, gaskets, belts (timing/water pump/thermostat), hoses, adaptor, flywheel, clutch, radiator fans, wireing, ECU, etc, etc.

Then you have to buy an engine.

Then you have to pay for labor.

Hell - you can't replace an EJ with another EJ for less than $1k usually if you are paying for labor. If you are doing a full conversion - double it. Easily.

GD

Well I told him I wasnt going to help him at all on it, and he is pretty spiteful towards me...

But I realized how hard this swap would be, and I told him it all the way, now hes just super happy because I told him to plan on 2k-3k for the swap and now hes incredibly happy that it will cost him $700-800 for an engine and thats it.

I wish people werent so ignorant :(

Im debating it.

I mean the drama over him being mad cuz I wont help him makes me wanna just tell him to *ahem* himself and laugh when the swap isnt done right.

But at the same time, if by miracle they do get it running doing it wrong, how long before it breaks, loses control and hurts someone.

Im kinda torn between sitting back and watching him screw it up or helping him for free (Ive changed hoses, oil, coolant, etc) and havent seen a cent so eh.

Im debating it.

I mean the drama over him being mad cuz I wont help him makes me wanna just tell him to *ahem* himself and laugh when the swap isnt done right.

But at the same time, if by miracle they do get it running doing it wrong, how long before it breaks, loses control and hurts someone.

Im kinda torn between sitting back and watching him screw it up or helping him for free (Ive changed hoses, oil, coolant, etc) and havent seen a cent so eh.

I'll give friends who need a hand help with oil changes and silly easy things like that.

But I only have a couple friends I'd do an entire swap for free... That's a lot of work. It's ridiculous if he expects you to do it for free.

I have no issues doing simple things for free... If materials are supplied, especially for friends...

I wouldnt be doing the swap, Rick would, Im sure Id help, but it would be Ricks Business, not me, I just referred him to Rick because, in my opinion, Rick is the most knowledeable to Subarus and the swaps.

But I think I will just tell him to do some reading, print out and hand him that manual that was linked above and wish him luck.

I have no issues doing simple things for free... If materials are supplied, especially for friends...

I wouldnt be doing the swap, Rick would, Im sure Id help, but it would be Ricks Business, not me, I just referred him to Rick because, in my opinion, Rick is the most knowledeable to Subarus and the swaps.

But I think I will just tell him to do some reading, print out and hand him that manual that was linked above and wish him luck.

Rick is good. He'll tell your friend what needs to be done, and your friend will probably listen to him. Sometimes people need to hear it from more than one person... I know I've been in that situation more than once.

Had a friend wanted me to replace his clutch for him, but just the clutch disc. He wasn't going to get a new PP or surface the FW. And WOULD NOT hear me it had to be done, finally someone else told him and he went out and bought parts.

NOTHING I listed was for racing - that's a whole different ball of wax. The parts listed are ONLY to get the engine mated to the trans, wired up, and driving. He's going to have a real "oh $hit" moment when he realizes that the engine he buys won't bolt up to an EA transmission nor even attempt to run with the car's wiring. No way he's going to buy an engine for $800 and have it installed for "less than $1000" total. He's a total idiot if he believes that claim. His "buddy" probably does GM stuff where just about any combo is possible due to similar bell-housing systems between engines.

Knowing what's going on in this kids head - I'm not even willing to do the swap for him. I dont want his money or his problems. He can take his "business" elsewhere. I have plenty of sane customers that don't ask me to do stupid things like dump $4k into a crapped out eEA82T sedan with a junk homemade lift and messed up body.

GD

NOTHING I listed was for racing - that's a whole different ball of wax. The parts listed are ONLY to get the engine mated to the trans, wired up, and driving. He's going to have a real "oh $hit" moment when he realizes that the engine he buys won't bolt up to an EA transmission nor even attempt to run with the car's wiring. No way he's going to buy an engine for $800 and have it installed for "less than $1000" total. He's a total idiot if he believes that claim. His "buddy" probably does GM stuff where just about any combo is possible due to similar bell-housing systems between engines.

Knowing what's going on in this kids head - I'm not even willing to do the swap for him. I dont want his money or his problems. He can take his "business" elsewhere. I have plenty of sane customers that don't ask me to do stupid things like dump $4k into a crapped out eEA82T sedan with a junk homemade lift and messed up body.

GD

Wow. Don't be so hasty. I doubt this swap will ever take place, but if it does, I think you should take it on. Considering how little this kid knows/has researched, you could probably pocket the 4 grand and just write "EJ22" on his current engine. Make a WeaponR intake out of a toilet paper tube, and I'm sure he'll be ecstatic.

Jacob