Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey there, I'm new here but have had lots of Subaru experiences that hopefully I can share, but one thing I have steered clear of is Automatic Transmissions. I hate them. I have no clue how they work, they seem to defy the laws of physics, and as far as Suabrus go, the laws of AT lifespan. They are the only thing that can stand in my way, as far as my 97 Outback is concerned.

Anywayz, that being said I'd like to know if anybody has real experience trying to put a 4EAT from a 99 Forester Phase II into a 97 Legacy Phase I. I have a prefectly good tranny sitting here from my old Fozzie parts truck, and I just happen to need one for my 97 Outback. The Outback has an EJ22 swap from a 97 legacy wagon (which was as easy as changing the brakes BTW). Everything is a bolt-up, plug 'n play swap so i assume the engine will not be an issue. Only issue I can see is the mounting, axle alignment, and wiring/tcu.

I'm not interested in speculation, as we all feel good ranting about how we "think" things work, I'd just like to know if anybody can tell me "yes, i've seen it done and there were no problems" or "yes, i've seen it done and these are the problems you would encounter.

Thanks in advance :)

trying to put a 4EAT from a 99 Forester Phase II into a 97 Legacy Phase I.

no, the phase 2 has more wires in the harness and more ''speed'' sensors on the trans. typically, the phase 1 / phase 2 line is not crossable.

having said that, if you want to track down the pinout of the 97 trans connector and the matching wires / pins on the 99 trans and splice in a connector, (discarding the ''new sensor'' wires), you may be able to do it.

the 99 will bolt in and line up just fine. just the wiring is different, a few extra sensors.

I live in Kingston and happen to be in the market for a 99 forester transmission. How much do you want?

I went out to make sure the transmission is still there, and it dawned on me! It's a Phase I! :eek: At least i'm pretty sure it is. I completely forgot that the forester was a 98 (same reason I couldn't use the rebuilt EJ25D for my 99). I'm assuming the 98 Forester tranny will work in the 97 OBW?

Sorry i can't help u out. If you're in the market for a complete 99 Forester I have a complete truck for sale, manual trans tho. All it needs is a clutch and I already bought it. Anybody that's willing to trailer it from Kirkland Lake Ontario is more than welcome to it for 300$ (complete). The engine also needs a sensor (never tried to figure out which one). Body has 475,000 on it, and the engine/tranny are used but I have no clue how many miles on them.

Hoping I can use the 98 Fozzie trans on my 97 OBW tho. If anybody can tell me its a direct bolt-in/plug 'n play you would make my day.

Hoping I can use the 98 Fozzie trans on my 97 OBW tho. If anybody can tell me its a direct bolt-in/plug 'n play you would make my day.

that will swap, good luck. check the trans code on the bell housing at the strater hole. if it starts with TZ102Z2xxx it is a perfact match.

read up on re-seating the troque converter before you start. there is a good write up even though the pics are gone. search ''torqueconverter'' and look for the oldest one.

i have a 96 lego sitting right now with the engine out. if i remember i'll take some pics to add back to the thread. basically you want the ''ears'' on the TC flush with the trans bell housing. they may stick out 1/8'', not not much more.

Edited by johnceggleston

that will swap, good luck. check the trans code on the bell housing at the strater hole. if it starts with TZ102Z2xxx it is a perfact match.

read up on re-seating the troque converter before you start. there is a good write up even though the pics are gone. search ''torqueconverter'' and look for the oldest one.

i have a 96 lego sitting right now with the engine out. if i remember i'll take some pics to add back to the thread. basically you want the ''ears'' on the TC flush with the trans bell housing. they may stick out 1/8'', not not much more.

I shoulda taken pics of the one I just did. The ears stick out a bit. The way I gauge the TQ is in far enough is like this.

The distance the ears stick out past the tranny bell housing should be LESS than the distance from the engine bell housing to the flex plate. (the flex plate holes where the ears bolt to)

I shoulda taken pics of the one I just did. The ears stick out a bit. The way I gauge the TQ is in far enough is like this.

The distance the ears stick out past the tranny bell housing should be LESS than the distance from the engine bell housing to the flex plate. (the flex plate holes where the ears bolt to)

good answer.