Ultimate Subaru Message Board

U figured out my nine fingered typing just fine so what ur saying is it need to be separated with some force! I am now thinking I should put a little tension on the motor also. I wasn't thinking I needed to do anything the trans or its supports,I will give ur suggestion a try THANK U

The engine obviously has to be high enough to clear the mounts. So if the tranny isn't supported up, it'll go crashing down when the engine comes loose. That's no good. Especially since it's an auto, you will pull the torque converter out, break it, etc.

Just make darn sure everything is disconnected though!! Especially the torque converter. You really, really, really. do not want that to come out with the engine. I repeat, you really want it to stay in the transmission.

You have to lift the engine partially before it can be separated. Support the transmission either from below with a jack, or with a ratchet strap hooked around the pitch mount bracket to the bracket on the firewall.

If you have the DOHC 2.5 that year should only have 2 nuts on the bottom of the bell housing, and 2 bolts at the top holding the engine to the trans. Make sure the 4 bolts are removed from the torque converter, and the converter is slid back away from the flywheel.

Pound a flat head screw driver into the seam in the bell housing and work your way around prying it apart.

I will be putting in the 2.2 engine,how do I solve the CEL light problem since the 2.2 has no EGR?

You don't. That's why we said to make sure you got one with EGR.

Some folks have though about dirlling/tapping for that metal pipe on the drivers side rear. Eventually they get smarter and give up.

Do some searching. Then you can follow other's thinking and attempts at work arounds regarding the EGR.

Tape will not pass emissions, they are smarter than that most of the time, as are most buyers. I always make sure the CEL comes on with the first turn of the key and then goes out after the car is started.

Most emissions also plug into the OBDII which will show any fault codes. If codes are in the computer they will not pass emissions.

Do it right or don't do it unless you are out in a area where there is no emissions check and you don't care if the CEL light is always on.

I can't find the the threads u mention,ru speaking about covering the light with tape.That will be hard to get by emmisions!

Didn't realize you were somewhere you need emissions.

I was being kinda facetious because there isn't really any way to make the non-egr engine work right with your setup.