Ultimate Subaru Message Board

best franken set up

pickstock

ok guys

now that ive got all the parts for my L seires rally wagon and the proccess of putting it all together is taking shape it getting ready to move on to a new project to be a road car and an offroad/race weapon like what you would see at baja but not so extreme. Maybe safari, rally raid is a better way to describe it.

This will all have to fit into a forester, or a liberty/outback wagon but its fairly free past that.

Well if got me thinking of what to build. id prefer NA for the moment, just to get to know the car and not have TOO much power available and to prevent the 50G engine blowing up cause i dont know how to use them. (ive only been a competetive driver with an NA engine)

so my engine choices would be a franken motor or an EZ 33/30

there are no franken motors in australia ATM so thats why im here and could do with some details, anyone want to share??

and the problem with the 6 cylinder engines are the servicing costs, 180$ au for the lifters so its over $1500 to service the engine every 15000 km. unless anyone can convince me there are other ways =/ also the front heavness of the car would be a problem, slightly but being an offroad car i can just put more weight in the rear like spares

id like it hooked up to the 6mt with front Lsd mainly for on road weaponry, would be fairly immense to take off and slam through them at red line.

or a 4AT with 50/50 difflock that enables me to do full hairpin turns :grin:

can you do the difflock with the 5AT?

now my other main thing. CVs for EJS whats the biggest/strongest CV joints around? i think i remember the 2005 sti CVs are bigger and stronger, but were also an odd spline count and wouldnt meet with the 6speed box. or i could get suby flanges, convert CVs to porche 944 and run porche or custom wheels but thats an expensive option and not one i want to chase

ok guys

now that ive got all the parts for my L seires rally wagon and the proccess of putting it all together is taking shape it getting ready to move on to a new project to be a road car and an offroad/race weapon like what you would see at baja but not so extreme. Maybe safari, rally raid is a better way to describe it.

This will all have to fit into a forester, or a liberty/outback wagon but its fairly free past that.

Well if got me thinking of what to build. id prefer NA for the moment, just to get to know the car and not have TOO much power available and to prevent the 50G engine blowing up cause i dont know how to use them. (ive only been a competetive driver with an NA engine)

so my engine choices would be a franken motor or an EZ 33/30

there are no franken motors in australia ATM so thats why im here and could do with some details, anyone want to share??

and the problem with the 6 cylinder engines are the servicing costs, 180$ au for the lifters so its over $1500 to service the engine every 15000 km. unless anyone can convince me there are other ways =/ also the front heavness of the car would be a problem, slightly but being an offroad car i can just put more weight in the rear like spares

id like it hooked up to the 6mt with front Lsd mainly for on road weaponry, would be fairly immense to take off and slam through them at red line.

or a 4AT with 50/50 difflock that enables me to do full hairpin turns :grin:

can you do the difflock with the 5AT?

now my other main thing. CVs for EJS whats the biggest/strongest CV joints around? i think i remember the 2005 sti CVs are bigger and stronger, but were also an odd spline count and wouldnt meet with the 6speed box. or i could get suby flanges, convert CVs to porche 944 and run porche or custom wheels but thats an expensive option and not one i want to chase

I don't see why you'd think that STI axles would not mate up to an STI gearbox. They certainly mated when they produced and sold them. There was a switch from male to female stubs at some point, though, if that's what you're talking about.

If you're talking about a Frankenmotor like mine, then I can guarantee you there are some in Australia. Some of the pioneers are there. You should really read the "High Compression Frankentein" thread on NASIOC. Especially the posts by Matt Monson. He's very clear on when a Frankenmotor makes sense, and when it doesn't. I'm betting for you it will not make sense, and you're better off with porting/polishing your stock heads and running cams.

Jacob