Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Way easier to do last time..

I tried to change out the stereo system in my 1988 GL wagon using color codes I found online that were specific to my car. I took the took off the negative side of the battery and wired up everything all nice like I did 6 months ago on my Chevy Nova. But, when I went to turn every thing on this time, the speakers were all crackly and awful and the dash illumination flickered a lot. So, I quickly took it off, but the dash never came back on again as I drove around!

FFWD to today, when I decided to just put each wire to a meter using the black as the ground, I got these results:

W/ BATTERY Green - yes

W/ BATT AND IGNITION Green - yes blue/yellow - yes

W/ BATT, IGN, ILLLUM Green - yes blue/yellow - yes red/green - yes

with negative results for the red wire and yellow wire all the way through.

So I assumed that that meant that:

BLACK= ground

Green= Battery 12+

Red/greeen= Illumination

Blue/yellow= Ignition 12+

That made sense to me because ealier when I had the red/green wire as the "Battery 12+" one, the stereo would only turn on if I had my headlights on.

When I put those wires together and went to turn on the car, it freaked out for about a half of a second, and now it wont start at all with or without anything connected.

Which probably means that I fried something...?

but the wierd thing was that even after all this, I disconnected the battery completely and was still consistently getting about 5V from the green wire and .5V coming from the blue/yellow wire. So where is that energy coming from?!?

Also, I connected my car battery to the wall outlet so I can get it started at least, and now all I'm getting is a rapid ticking sound from behind the steering wheel. Great...

Also, if anyone could tell me what are the real codes, I'd be really appreciative....

check fuse number 5, see if its blown. you can probably make the car run if you backfed 12v into the solid green wire. happened to me, backfed with a toggle, drove like this for months, and then discovered fuse #5 and replaced it.