Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Struts and Springs

After talking to a few board members about this topic, the conclusion was to post on the board and see what every has to say about it:

On a scale of 1 to 3, 3 being the stiffest springs

and A to C, C being the tallest struts, how do all the struts and springs rank by model?

RX Front spring - 3?

4wd Wagon - 2

XT - 1

RX Front strut - ?

4wd Wagon - ?

XT - ?

RX rear spring - 3?

4wd wagon - ?

XT - ?

RX rear strut - ?

4wd wagon - ?

XT - C?

thanks guys in advance for anyone who responds

Shean - To lower your wagon down you'd want to be running XT front struts and RX struts on the back. Use springs of choice.

RX springs are the stiffest, 3 door 4wd turbo or any 2wd would be the softest up front

Back springs 4wd wagon springs are the stiffest

any 2wd springs are the softest

so what keep my stock shocks and struts, but just toss on some RX springs on the rear and 2wd XT springs on the front.

see i want it lowered ATLEAST 1.5inches on all four, if not 2inches in front.

but also, i dont want it to be all mushy in forners and crap, i want them to be stiff when im driving. i want the car to handle, not to be just lowered.

but also the problem with just getting shorter springs is that i will bottom out my shocks and struts much easier, which i dont want,

thats why i was going to get the shorter XT front struts with 2wd XT springs, then XT 2wd rear springs on RX shocks.

that should give me a 2inch drop in the front, and a 1.5 in the rear, which i will be happy with.

NO

XT struts on the front.. they are the shortest. and maybe just cut a coil out of the 4wd spring

XT struts are supposedly 2 inches shorter than our wagon struts.. (If I read the chart correctly)

RX rear struts are only a 1/10th of an inch shorter than the ones you have on your car now

As for the back, the only difference in length is like half an inch so I guess you'd have to chop a coil off to make it sag more. Unless someone has made lowering brackets

yah.. we are saying the same thing about the XT struts..

As for the rear, it doesnt say the spring lengths but seeing how the RX strut is only a a hair shorter than the 4wd I dont see how you'd get 2 inches drop in the rear. unless the spring was 2 inches shorter or you cut 2 inches off the spring

Originally posted by The Scooby

well ive been told and read a few times that if i run XT front struts and springs i will get a 2 inch drop.

then in the rear RX shocks, and XT springs, and everything off a 2wd car.

now wouldn't that drop it to where i want it?

Being new to Subarus, I can't tell you what Subaru struts or springs to use, but I'm pretty sure that lowering as much as you'd like is purely a cosmetic enhancement. You'll get much better handling by installing KYB or Tokico shocks (or struts, as the case may be) on stock springs, and see how you like the handling. The next step is to get a matching set of stabilizer bars. If you can get an adjustable set, you'll be able to adjust them to your liking. Check with an aligment shop before dropping the car that much, as that kind of drop can often make the car impossible to align. That is definitely bad for handling. Note I'm not saying don't drop it, I'm saying drop less for looks, and get better shocks/struts.

My $0.02

Dan

shean -

do a search.. someone had a grey/brown wagon with a big kenwood sticker on the front window and there was a few trophies on the ground in front of the car.

He lowered his and go the dropdown trim and all that stuff. Maybe he could help you out

but see, here lies the problem, i am broke, so im trying to find stock subaru parts that i can score for extremely cheap to lower my car.

supradan2001, i know all about suspension, i completly rebuilt my stock suspensin on my 87 firebird formula that i am trying to sell.

i got new springs, built sub-frame connectors, and installed many other things like Hotchkis lower control arms, and an ajustable panhard bar. i know suspension, but im learning as much as i can about subaru suspension now.

Subaru_Styles: ok so i go with ground control, with their coil spring, with that top perch. and the ajustable perch is the thing on the bottom with threads so you can raise and lower your car?

cok_civic_b18c1.jpg

^example

ok then what shocks/struts do you reccomend?

Originally posted by subaru_styles

i think that would be me........get the lowest struts and some adjustable coilovers..... I would stick with find some with 350lb springs for front& rear

Subaru_Styles Love your 88 wagon!! I've got an 86 ea82 2wd wagon that I plan to upgrade to a 5 lug setup. Two days ago I picked up a 89 XT-6 2wd for all the brake and suspension parts. I copied DR RXs list on the needed components. (Thanks Doc if you happen to read this!) I would like to upgrade to H&R springs and better shocks and struts. Possibly KYBs or Tokicos. Since you have already gone where I want to go. Could you make my quest a bit easier? Could you please fill me in on part #s for the H&R springs, struts, and shocks you used on your trick wagon.

I know I'm asking a lot but, your help will be appreciated more than you can imagine!

Thanks in advance for any and all help

ok first off struts......as far as the front struts go with the conversion there is NO aftermarket 2wd XT6 struts....i got a deal and bought a pair of OEM tokico form the stealership....you can however use impreza struts with very minor modification.....no the rear i bought a set of KYB gr2 struts....

now the springs.....are HP not H&R big difference.....you can do 2 things.......you can get a set of thoose coilovers and put them on all for corners OR if you use impreza struts in front....... try using a set of front impreza lowering springs ganked off a wrecked car.....the coilovers are linear=stiffer but harsh bouncy ride....... were as something like Eibach springs a progessive=more comfortable ride not as stiff. as for the rear the spock springs a linear so coilovers are a must for lowering and adjustment.....

Thanks a bunch subaru_styles! I will probably go with a set of HP coilovers on all 4 corners like you did.(I dont know why I thought you had H&R springs on your car..must have been a brain fart on my end!) I have access to Subie parts at dealer cost plus 10% so the OEM Tokicos will probably run me the same as an aftermarket pair of struts when all is said and done. I went to KYBs web site this morning and found the GR2 shocks for the rear. I will probably order a set this week. Does HP spring have a web site? Did you buy from them direct or did you have to buy them from a distributor? And lastly, do you know the part # for the spring application.

Thanks for all your help. Now it's up to my shop for some quality wrench time!