Ultimate Subaru Message Board

delta cams now...change ignition timing?

correct me if I am wrong but for my (86 turbo wagon 4wd) the ignition timing should be 25' btdc

I now have delta cams that some of you run and I was wondering if I should alter the timing for better results...the cams however, work awesome the way they are now, I was just wondering if there was room for more power from changing the timing:)

thanks

eric

I run two different engines with hot cams in them. I have run as much as 18 degrees on my '85 Brat running an EA81. Stock is 8 degrees. Adjust the timing and pay attention to the car. Check the plugs from time to time to check burn condition. You'll know when the timing is right.

Originally posted by nutt7

...the cams however, work awesome the way they are now,eric

Hello Eric,

What exactly do you mean by the cams work awesome on your car? What improvements did you notice and where in your powerband? Someone 'slaved' for the past week or so to get some DeltaCams in my XT6 and I think all that's needed now is a timing adjustment to get the car started (I hope). I'll play with it tomorrow to see how to get it started.

In the meantime, I'm just curious as to what to look for. I've already gotten plenty of responses but you can never hear enough.

So what did you notice?

I noticed full powerband gains. mostly when the turbo spools. upper rpms pull much harder. 10 hp more, I would guess. definately noticable though...before the cams, I could barely feel the turbo kick, after the cams, they start to break my 13s loose when the boost spools.

keep in mind, I replaced my mech. fan and did the typical intake box mod at the same time. I believe the cams made most of the difference though...

Oh yes, ignition timing is stock (25' BTDC) I havent tried changing it yet.

hope this helps,

eric

WJM, I dont know the deal with yours, but an absolute noticable difference was present upon the installation of my cams...good luck getting it figured out

Oh I know that there is a BIG difference on the turbo cars...I know this...my RX experienced that...

The SPFI is starting to wake up to the cams...ive hacked the muffler off and fixed a few fuel system issues, and replaced the O2 sensor...as the one on the car was ripped apart and no wire present...

So...i am hoping these mods will wake up some more power, that and i am about to run out of disty space to advance the timing, its at about 27 deg now.

Originally posted by WJM

Oh I know that there is a BIG difference on the turbo cars...I know this...my RX experienced that...

The SPFI is starting to wake up to the cams...ive hacked the muffler off and fixed a few fuel system issues, and replaced the O2 sensor...as the one on the car was ripped apart and no wire present...

So...i am hoping these mods will wake up some more power, that and i am about to run out of disty space to advance the timing, its at about 27 deg now.

WJM,

I just wanted to let you know that I haven't noticed any low end gain with the DeltaCams. Actually, there's a low end LOSS. I went to a dragstrip briefly last night. I didn't have time to stay long as I had to go to work today early. Anyway, I wanted to confirm what I was feeling on the street with the cam. The low end loss was significant enough to worsen my 60ft time from my normal 2.4 seconds to 2.7 seconds. :eek: I'm not sure if it had to do with the cams or the 'tight' cold air box I made before going to the strip. The night before when I was 'tweaking' my fuel pressure on the road, I didn't have a cold-air-box made and the front tires chirp during WOT from a dead stop.

Even still, I do not notice any low end power gain nor top end gain. However, at the dragstrip I had a 1mph gain that I couldn't attain last year through many many dragstrip runs. That's not a lot. I need to get on a dyno to test out where my air/fuel ratio is at exactly and maybe play with the timing.

My stock base timing is 20 degrees. I set it at 22 degrees before going to the track. I am running 93 octane.

I'm noticing some of you are talking about timing being advanced substantially. Snowman, how substantial was/is your timing advance? I don't want to go overboard. I thought I was on the brink of going overboard if I went beyond 2-3 degrees advanced. Qman's running an extra 10 degrees of advanced. That's unheard of and SCARY. :eek: If our cars can handle this though and this is what works best with the cams, I'm willing to try anything.

Just trying to do my homework before going to the dyno. If I can get away with 6-8 more degrees of timing advance, that'd be awesome.

Well, the dizzy adjustment is maxed out on the DL....so im guessing thats about 10 or more deg...Im about to put the stockers back in the DL, cuz I know the gain is way more on the turbo...and i am building a new turbo engine for the GL-10...sometime...lol

Overall, ive only noticed that if I go past 6k, there is power, where there was none to be had before. So.....im guessing that this is not a non turbo grind fo-sho.

Miles Fox had emailed me, something interesting....

"its the turbo cams. they have no overlap to make power. make the spfi open ports

and you will have GOBS of bottom end, but a pipe will make it a dog

i did this with a carb, spfi block, camd were a dog, but it hauled a 2 axle

trailer with the car the cams came form on top.

go back to an spfi cam, i bet you there is a difference"

So....i think i will do that, just to see, and since i need the cams for something else anyhow.