Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When was the first year of the 3rd generation Outback?

I'm seeing some sources that say that 2003 or 2004 was the first year of the Gen III, and some sources (sometimes the same sources) that say that 2004 was the last year of Gen II.

Was Gen III introduced midyear? I'm so confuzzled. :-\

I'd seen that link before. Thanks for the info.

It looks like a 3rd generation Outback is going to be out of my price range, then.

The 2000 model year ones are a real bargain right now, I wouldn't be discouraged by this.

The 2000 model year ones are a real bargain right now, I wouldn't be discouraged by this.

Having owned a 2000 Legacy GT AT, the issues I can report were the delayed engagement in the AT and of course the external head gasket leaks that can be cured by feeding Subaru Leak-No-Mo to the radiator. I did love that car though...

The first model year of the Gen III was 2005. They would have become available probably during the summer of 2004.

I've learned that the rental companies would get the 05 in Feb/March 04. I bought a used 08 that had gone into service with Hertz in Feb 07.

The 2000 model has the DOHC phase I engine, which is almost guaranteed to need a head gasket if it wasn't done already.

If I found a really clean one really cheap I might look at it, but my experience with 10+ year old cars is that even if the drivetrain is good, everything else is getting worn out. Doors don't seal, windows get a little wobbly, they rattle like a maraca going down the road...

That's what my '98 Impreza is like now, and it's how my '96 was in 2007. Trying to get something a little newer.

Didn't the 2000 models have the Phase I DOHC engine with the headgasket problem?

I'm getting conflicting information everywhere I read.