Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem/hesitation while braking -HELP

I have a 1998 Outback wagon automatic transmission 57,000 miles. No problems...I was pulling into a parking spot very slowly head in, when I applied the brake and the car heaved forward (doing a bit of damage to the bottom going up on the curb). It happened so fast that I couldn't tell exactly what happened except that the car didn't quite accelerate, and didn't quite stop, but lurched forward about 4 to 6 feet before stopping/past where it should have stopped. Fortunately, there was nothing except curb ahead of me, and no one was hurt. Just a little freaked out.

Reported it my insurance co, and towed it to the dealer.

This had happened to me once before at a stop sign several months ago but I convinced myself that it was "user error" as I am a rather new driver (grew up in NYC without a car) and know nothing about cars (yes I'm female). The first time it happened I brought it to the dealer who said "couldn't find anything". Now I had it towed to them again, but I need help in what could have happened so I can ask or tell them what to check. Also, I am concerned about driving it since it could happen again.

Any help in sussing this out is appreciated.

If you were coasting into a parking spot and the brakes failed or didn't properly stop the car, I don't see how it would "lurch forward ". It would just continue to coast.

Are you sure you didn't inadverently hit the accereator along with the brake? It wouldn't be the first time someone accidently did that.

I figured the first time maybe, but to do it more than once? I only have size 8.5 wide feet. I think we will just have to keep an eye on it.

The dealer ran it through the diagnostics, checked the accellerator, the fuel injection, and the brakes and told me it was safe to drive it again. On the other hand he said that I should keep an eye on the rpms when I get in similar situations, so that if it happens again, I'll to be able to give more information. He also said (which appears to be true) that it is not a standard problem that gets reported in, so I'm just out a lot of bucks, but safe (hopefully).