Ultimate Subaru Message Board

questions about interchanging hubs!

Ron G "tinker"

Unfortunately, nope. There are alternatives, such as the XT6 5-lug swap and the 6 lug swap. I'm sure other people will chime in; the 6 lug swap requires modification of your original 4x140 hubs I believe. Lots of info if you search around, and you'll also find out the XT6 swap is not a cheap adventure unless you get really lucky at a junkyard :grin:

The 6 lug works because you keep two of the studs to keep the wheel aligned with the center of rotation. If you really need to use the wheels get a car they fit on, or try and find a set of 6 lugs that you like and either redrill the wheels or the hubs.

Correct GD. The rims are 'hub centric' mounted. You cannot just knock out the old studs, slap the rim on and drill four new holes without some reference point. You can take it to a machine shop with a rim or dead hub from the donor car and tell them you want this pattern on this hub. The have the correct tools to center the pattern. If you don't, you'll have one hell of a vibration.

Adaptor plates are not the way to do it. You don't really need a machine shop either. You can get close enough with a hand drill and some patience if you know what you are doing.

They are probably hub-centric but many of us are running wheels with larger center bores than the factory rims... they do just fine. Just remove the hubs, mark out your pattern and center-punch/drill your holes. Flatten off the back side for the lug to sit flush and pound them in. This aint rocket science.

The way I would do it - chuck the hub up in my lathe and scribe a line designating the bolt circle. Then mark my 4 holes with dividers and go to town with the drill. But I have a lathe..... there are any number of ways to do it without one though.

GD