Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 82 Cooling Fan mod?

85wagon

hey, im putiing a 4inch lift on my 85gl wagon and the water pump fan/ fan clutch fan is pretty close to the radiator core suport has anyone taken off the fan clutch with fan and installed an electric fan? i figured it would work fine for cooling, would it cause problems on the motor side? would i gain Horse Power with the motor having less drag?

Edited by 85wagon

From what I've read an electric fan from a EA81 with A/C fits with a couple extra screws. I guess the EA82 electric fan is too thick to use in place of the mech. fan. I haven't done this mod, but I'm planning to!

You'll probably free a couple hp, but nothing exciting.

If the cooling system is in good repair, just pull it off. Only Ea82s with A/C came with a clutch fan, so it's only necessary in the hardest situations.

The A/C never worked in my Ea82s, so I pulled it all off, and the fan, and almost never had problems.

you won't notice any power unless the clutch was failed, but you might gain a bit of mileage depending on your driving style. And you'll make your car a lot easier to work on.

The mechanical fan was only installed on models that had A/C. If you don't have/use the A/C (and your model is not a turbo) than you should be able to get by on just the right-side electric fan. Otherwise, as previously mentioned, the left-side electric fan from an A/C-equipped EA81 might work. Alternately, you might be able to fit a pusher fan in front of the radiator.

hey, i pulled the fan/fanclutch off, i definitely noticed a power increase. i use to have to shift down into third going up my hill and now i can keep it in 4th, pretty sweet!! i doubt i got any more horse power but u can definitely notice the torque.