Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DUAL CARB 1600 help ID this engine

a while ago i made a great deal, $150 for a complete dual carb ea71, history unknown. today i picked it up and brought it home. i was told it had different heads and cam than your run of the mill ea71. it has carbs on it and everything! only things missing are air filter housing and a distributer.

my question is can anyone tell anything from the engine serial # stamped on the block? it's NO648498. i'm wondering if this is a JDM engine? what year? the ea71 stamp is sideways towards the back, so it must be pre '80.

anything y'all know about these engines should help. what differences should i look for in the heads and cam? i have a post '80 ea71 taken apart for comparison.

the plan is to rebuild it and put it in my magnificent RUST FREE '80 hatch.

also i assume they are hitachis, but i didn't look to make sure and it's dark out the engine is sitting in my driveway in the back uf a pick up truck, i'll look tomorrow but anyone know which model of hitachi they should be?

maybe whoever won qman's manifold + carb setup would be kind enough to contact me and compare notes?

Originally posted by carfreak85

Got a hook up on any more of those engines?

well....... the same guy i got this from has at least one more, in a car that i'm considering buying. if i don't buy it or if i come across another while rumaging through his crap, i'll let you know, but i wouldn't bet on it. but you are officially first in line.

Hey John, try giving Burt Subaru there in Denver a call. There's a gal by the name of Terry (I think that was her name) that helped me out with my dual carb questions. She's worked for Subaru for 20 years or something and has alot of good info.

I can't tell from the serial#, but I can tell you what to physically look for.

From the pics I've seen on the net (If I can find 'em I'll email them to you), the dual-carb engines had the intake and exhaust valves in the EA82 positions. This means that the intake valves are directly under the intake port in the head, while the exhaust valves are at the front and rear of the head. If you look at a normal EA71 or EA81 head, you can see where the intake runners continue from the intake ports out to the valves. On the dual carb version, these runners don't exist.

Also, the exhaust ports on the dual-carb heads are oval and have a thin divider splitting them. Because the exhaust ports are separated by that divider, it was possible to build a true header for these engines (I have a pic of this somewhere too).

I'll be quite jealous if this is a true dual-carb engine. (heck, I'm already jealous of the manifold alone). Congrats.

i was told by the guy that owned it that the heads and cam were different, but dunno how. when i get time soon i'll take the heads off and compare them visually w/ the heads from an old std i had. i'll let y'all know what i find.

i was also hoping the serial # would tell what year, but i guess it's fairly irrelavent.

Originally posted by Wasteland Subaru

Hey John, try giving Burt Subaru there in Denver a call. There's a gal by the name of Terry

thanks for the tip. i talked to her today. she was very knowledgable. she said the engines were made from '77-'79 and they had a different cam than most, it was the same hi lift cam used in the FE coupes of the late '70s. (i wonder if these cams were in 1600 brats, too?) she said as far as she knew the heads were the same as all others, though. she also said i guy at burt toyota knows more about them. i'll talk to him when i can.

Right on! gald to hear you got the info, I think the guy at Burt Toyo is Mike Shaw, I talked to him in the sping about widebody bellhousings. I think his dad owned an after market Subaru shop. You might also try Super roopair in Boulder, those guys are a wealth of info.