Ultimate Subaru Message Board

finally picked a direction ej22 it is

86hatchback

I've been bouncing around on how to do my hatch since I got it. So now after asking a lot of weird questions I just decided to stick with the stock mfpi ej22 thanks to Gloyale for offering to do the harness for me. The transmission will be a bit of a twist so I'll take pictures as I build that. I'm going to be putting ej cases on a ft4wd single range transmission with diff lock. That way I can use the better clutches and no adapters. I'm gonig to lower the car to 2wd height and make a canyon carver out of it. So tomorrow the fun of guttin the hatch begins.

If you're going to make a canyon carver out of it, use the whole EJ transmission. The full-time 4wd with center diff lock sucks on the street because you are effectively 1wd. Whatever wheel has the least weight on it will spin and all the power will go to it. So then you lock the center diff, and it binds just like a 4x4 and handles unpredictably on the pavement. The AWD center diff with the viscous limited slip that the EJ trannys have in them is the best setup for pavement and gravel.

Figured I'd post some pictures of the transmissions I have torn down today. So when people wonder what the PT4WD guts vs the FT4WD guts look like.

So here's the PT on the bottom and the FT on top

Subarutranscomparison.jpg

Here's a close up of PT pinion shaft.

SubaruPT4WDcloseup.jpg

Here's the FT pinion shaft bare

SubaruFT4WDpinionshaft.jpg

This is what the FT center diff and lock out look like. The transfer gear sits on top and is one piece out to the rear output.

SubaruFT4WD.jpg

Last is the combo I put together EJ cases 23 spline stubs and FT4WD single range gear train.

SubaruFT4WDEJcased23splinestubs.jpg