Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

• 1 month later...

So I'm thinking next year after I take the rig outta the garage, I'm gonna have to tear down the rear coilovers and change springs. Its far to soft in the rear, Struts compress fully going over railroad tracks.

Should I just see about getting springs from the dealer, if their not discontinued, or what other options are there besides the Accord spring swap which I've heard are questionable.

Side note: I was shocked when I compressed the new Monroe struts vs the factory ones, the factory ones seemed to have more force still.

... what other options are there besides the Accord spring swap which I've heard are questionable...

Dear Thomas,

I wonder why they are Questionable...

I Drive my Wagon with them since Long years ago, without issues except a Harder ride, and two inches of lift gained; but they gave a much more sportier feeling and better handling loaded. In this thread you could read about the experience of another USMB's member with them:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/143010-nicks-94-loyale-build/?p=1203326

Also, here is the complete Writeup's link, if you want to consider such modification:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

These are the MOOG CC248 Springs. Used for the rear springs on the 1986-89 Accords, These are Variable Rate. I'm gonna get these for the rear of the Loyale to swap in when spring time comes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CC248-Moog-Coil-Springs-Variable-Rate-/161155547754?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25859e826a&vxp=mtr

• 1 month later...

So now that I have the rear springs figured out and actually have the set of CC248s in my possession. What would be the upgrade for the front springs? I'm guessing once I install the Accord springs in the rear, that the rear will sit higher than the front (Again) I would like to keep the Loyale leveled out.

JesZek, I can't remember if you posted a write up of such a swap or not for the front springs or not. 

• Like 1

... JesZek, I can't remember if you posted a write up of such a swap or not for the front springs or not. 

Yes, the Complete Suspension Writeup is Here:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

But you must notice that, despite that I ended swapping the front coil springs with Harder ones; the total amount of travel on the Front Shock Absorbers is quite Limited; so I purchased a couple of 2" Strut Blocks + Engine's crossmember spacers from Scott in Bellingham, in order to Level my "BumbleBeast".

Every detail has been described in my Writeup, with Links for each thread with further info & Photos.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Beautiful! That was what I was looking for. I totally forgot about using Springs from a Tempo. Thank you for the MOOG Part Number, I crossed it using O'Reilly Autos Parts System since I used to work there and it brought up the Part number you posted CC852 and the CC854 which has 2 lbs more force because of Air Conditioning I suppose.

Just figured I'd post this little bit of extra info.

Here is the link 
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Coil+Spring/03360/C0361.oap?keyword=springs&year=1994&make=Ford&model=Tempo&vi=1139767

• Like 1

Here are all the Part Numbers for the Suspension Components I will be swapping in come this Spring.

Struts: 

Front Left: KYB GR-2 233023 (Part Number For 4WD EA82)

Front Right: KYB GR-2 233022 (Part Number For 4WD EA82)

Rear Left/Right: KYB GR-2 341065 (Part Number For 4WD EA82)

Springs:

Front Left/Right: MOOG CC852 or CC854 (Part Numbers For 2nd Gen Ford Tempo Non-A/C and/or A/C Equipped)

Rear Left/Right: MOOG CC248 (Part Number For '86-'89 Honda Accord)

Strut Top Hats:

Front: MOOG K9557

Strut Mount Bushing Kit:

Rear Bushing Kit: KYB SM5362

Edited by TheLoyale
  • Like 1

Thank you for Sharing those part Numbers.

Remember: as I described on the Writeup, I used the Front Coil Springs from a Junk Yard's Tempo, so they were not as stiff as the Brand new ones; other forum members used the Coil Springs for the V6 Automatic + A/C tempo, which are too stiff for the Subie... they had to cut one and a half turns from them to fit.  

I Kindly suggest you to read carefully the Writeup.

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Ah, you are right. I just re-read your write up and you did say about both MOOG springs. I'm hoping I will not need to cut the CC852 springs to get them to fit onto the strut since they are a little weaker than the CC854, I'm thinking I may be able to compress them enough, we'll see once I get the springs and start with the swap.

So far I've only ordered the front Top Hats. I was able to find two new MOOG brand ones for $52.00 shipped on ebay versus $72 .ea

Edited by TheLoyale
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Took the Loyale out of the garage today and took the Fiance' for a ride. Got the rear GR-2 struts today. Just need to purchase the front struts. The part number I have for the front KYB struts are 233022 and 233023, they are the KYB Excel, I can't source KYB GR-2s for the front...? Anybody have info for this?

Loyale is running great as always! Neutral safety switch is a little bothersome some times. 

Edited by TheLoyale

Just got the CC852 front springs! Their pretty nice, Epoxy coated and all.

So, the Loyale is now getting the same treatment that the Skiwagon received!

Stage: 1 Tear Down and Evaluation 

I started removing the interior from the cargo area and am working my way forward. The headliner is also coming down to figure out the banging noise in the roof and to add FatMat sound deadening.

Time for pictures!

2014_0326AA.jpg

2014_0326AB.jpg

2014_0326AC.jpg

2014_0326AD.jpg

2014_0326AE.jpg

This bedliner was from a few years ago when I tried to slowdown some rust. This will all be stripped away and done right.

2014_0326AF.jpg

Most of the crash compartment is made out of resin and sheets, this will all be cut out and welded up correctly.

2014_0326AG.jpg

I will also be making the rear bumper mounting points stronger by using square stock and adding mounting points.

• Like 1

I'm just going to remove the bedliner with a flapper disc and then see why I covered it cause I don't remember lol. If its rusted I'll just cut out what needs  to be and weld in new. 

I need to remake the rear quarters completely, cause I know there isn't anything left. I filled it with Bondo back in the day lol. 

Edited by TheLoyale