Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

• Please log in to reply
668 replies to this topic

#76 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

Safariwagon: The Legend

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

+1 to MilesFox, this rust is not nearly as bad as it could have been or have gotten, if I didn't address it now, it could have went south pretty quick.

#77 GirlWithALegacy

GirlWithALegacy

Live. XD.

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • Wolf Point, MT

Posted 23 April 2011 - 03:25 AM

Holy crap Loyale! I can't believe how much rust you're fighting there!!

I thought I'd seen some bad rust in L's but this one is unfortunately the worst :(

You do an amazing job to keep your L going! It certainly makes what I'm dealing with an easy task, mainly body fatigue after a good 440k kms with some hard 4wd'n since I've had her at 293k km :D

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah I thought my 93 had rust too... HAH. Tom and Fox showed me! :lol:

#78 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 504 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:34 AM

dam you aussies with your dry climate, and your un-rustable cars!

Ease up mr fox - we don't have un-rustable cars! Any rust that is found on a vehicle is good enough to have a road worthy knocked back... lucky for us in victoria you only do this when you get your car initially registered - unless you're unlucky and a member of the constabulary goes over your vehicle for an on the spot inspection...

Keep up the good work loyale! You may be keen to know there's another short clip of ruby scoo available on youtube now ;)

Cheers

Bennie

#79 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

Good to know, I will have a look at it!

There are Vehicle inspections in Pennsylvania were they will not allow a vehicle to pass unless everything is 100% on it, very little rust, dents, tires, etc. I say they are trying to give people the bobbins with that, Up here in Wisconsin, we don't have Vehicle Inspection, Only Emissions testing for Vehicles 1996 and newer (OBD-II Systems)

#80 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,521 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:49 PM

Good to know, I will have a look at it!

There are Vehicle inspections in Pennsylvania were they will not allow a vehicle to pass unless everything is 100% on it, very little rust, dents, tires, etc. I say they are trying to give people the bobbins with that, Up here in Wisconsin, we don't have Vehicle Inspection, Only Emissions testing for Vehicles 1996 and newer (OBD-II Systems)

No dents? oh my... Most of the cars on here would fail. haha.

In Maine you're not supposed to have any rust holes, rusted hoses, etc. And of course a lot of really stupid stuff to fail for that doesn't really hurt anything.

Being able to put a sticker on my own car is nice. No dealing with that crap.

#81 afewsubarus

afewsubarus

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Humboldt County

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

You could save yourself a lot of trouble and take a trip out west and buy a rust free wagon. Check out the Medford, Oregon; Sacramento, Ca., San Francisco, CA; and Reno, Nevada craigslist ads. The are usually a couple of decent wagons available around the $500.00 price range.

#82 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

You could save yourself a lot of trouble and take a trip out west and buy a rust free wagon. Check out the Medford, Oregon; Sacramento, Ca., San Francisco, CA; and Reno, Nevada craigslist ads. The are usually a couple of decent wagons available around the $500.00 price range.

Considering I have stuck 5 years of time and sweat into this car, I ain't just gonna get a rust free body to start over with. That would be defeating the purpose of taking care of my car.

#83 GirlWithALegacy

GirlWithALegacy

Live. XD.

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • Wolf Point, MT

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:44 AM

Amen to that! Plus, what's the fun in buying one that doesnt require a little 'bonding'? :grin:

#84 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

Went to NCS Autobody today and ordered my Factory paint color in 3 areo cans. I will be able to pick it up tomorrow by 3pm.

So I made progress on the rear door, all I need now is the paint and clear to finish it.

This is REAL Bondo, spreads like peanut butter slathered on my ch0de.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeeah, boyy.
Posted Image

#85 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,294 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

Heck Yea:banana:

Can you try to get that trim piece off? this lets you get to that rust bubble. You would have to get the clips out from behind. 85-and 86 glued on, so if the tabs break you have that option. Then you can paint the whole door in one shot.

#86 SubaruJawn

SubaruJawn

Imprezed

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Franklin,PA 16323

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

The Car is Looking Good Tom !
Very Lucky Loyale :)

-Jawn

#87 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

WileE Coyote Super Genius

• Members
  • 2,943 posts
  • West Des Moines, IA

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:35 AM

Good job tom, but one thing. Rear Disc Swap man, should be the very next thing you do.

#88 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:46 AM

Drum works just fine, plus they are new drums and have new hardware.

Edited by TheLoyale, 05 May 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#89 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

The very next thing I am going to do would be Valve cover seals, and paint my valve covers.

#90 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,521 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

The change to rear discs was amazing for me!!

But .... My rear drums were rusted to hell, cylinders leaking, shoes were gone, adjustment was crazy...

I'm sure in working condition they do pretty well. The rear discs are still nice :grin:

#91 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

I am hitting up the jacking points with NAPA Stone Guard and I also have a can of NAPA undercoating in which I will use around the underside of the chassis.

Fox, NAPA Stone Guard is $17 a can, it better be good! :lol:

#92 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

Got back from NCS in a timely fashion and finished my door.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did buy a new spreader.
Posted Image

Just paint:
Posted Image

Paint and Clear:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After a few days, I will try some rubbing compound and then wax the hell outta it.

NAPA Stone Guard, awesome stuff.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Moisted!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am pretty close to getting done, I need to fix the rear 1/4 panel that has been primer for the past 3 years, and fix the other rear door which will require the same amount of work as this side did.

Forgot to buy more POR-15 while I was as NCS.

#93 jboymechanic

jboymechanic

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Waterford, WI

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:53 PM

There is no such thing as being done with a car, only breaks! When are you going to do the rear wheel wells and rockers?

#94 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:59 PM

There is no such thing as being done with a car, only breaks! When are you going to do the rear wheel wells and rockers?

Rockers for the most part are sealed up and done, besides repainting sections where I POR-ed them. The underside of the car is done and pretty much has been, I just keep adding to it to seal it upon seal it!

I am gonna clean up the wheel well lips, de-rust them, and maybe apply bondo to smooth it out and then paint it.

Really, this car is cleaner then you think. But it also has 5 years of effort into it, and sadly I am redoing some of the crap I did 2 years ago cause I didn't know what I was doing.

#95 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:45 PM

I have one of these cool SPT hold downs coming. I like this style better then the new style which are not as bulky.

I also got a free SPT oil cap with it, all for $38. :banana:

Posted Image

#96 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,294 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

Funny how you got stone guard white. Mine is black, and was about 13 bucks.

The spt hardware is nice. Do they make them in gold? I lost my spt battery tie in johnny's loyale, and paid 30 bucks for it.

Oh, you will have to swap an ej oil tube to use the spt, unless you put it in the trashwagon.

I am thinking about using the metal ea82 fill tube on my ej swap

#97 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

Oh no, is it still in the back of his car? The only colors they offer them in are Aluminized Blue and Silver/Gray, I think Gold would tie in well with the STi wheels.

Stone Guard white was all they had in stock, and maybe its cheeper cause you go to their warehouse? The NAPA undercoating was $8.

As for swapping the EA82 filler tube onto an EJ, it will fix, BUT, the holes in the EA82 tube don't line up perfect (They are spaced farther apart) I have an extra EA82 tube in which I was thinking of swapping them around too.

#98 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,294 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 06 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

You could go to car shows and talk about how you ported and gasket matched your fill tube:lol:

#99 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

You could go to car shows and talk about how you ported and gasket matched your fill tube:lol:

Hellz yeah !

#100 TheLoyale

TheLoyale

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Waukesha, WI

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

I don't understand how to blend in tap-off lines into the original paint now that it is dry and set. Tips please...?

Fox, you would probably have some input.

Wet sand it with 1500 grit?

Edited by TheLoyale, 08 May 2011 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users