Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA81 oil Pressure/air pressure question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fshnidiot

fshnidiot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Marysville

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:54 AM

I just dropped a resealed EA81 I bought into my 82 Brat. Fired right up but I have no oil pressure and valves ticking bad. I rebuilt and dropped in another oil pump (I checked it and it's within the specs in my book for wear. both pumps are still good) and adjusted the valves with no change in pressure or noise. No leaks anywhere, temp stays cool, sounds and feels really good and strong except for the ticking. With the motor running i removed the oil filler cap and I have enough air coming out of it to use it as a blow dryer. Air is also blowing out the valve cover breather tubes like crazy.(forced air induction for my weber :grin:) Am I right in thinking there is no oil pickup tube going from the block into the oilpan and as a result I'm just sucking air? It's full of fresh oil so I know that's not the problem. Thanks, Frank

Edited by fshnidiot, 19 March 2011 - 01:16 PM.

#2 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,551 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

Is there any evidence it's been pumping oil?
Easiest way would be to pull the oil filter. If no oil comes dripping out, it isn't pumping.

If you're run it much with no oil circulation you've probably fubared the bearings... good luck.

#3 fshnidiot

fshnidiot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Marysville

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

I'll go pull the filter right now and check. It hasn't been run much (5-10 miles at 35mph or less back and forth to the parts store) so hopefully I haven't hurt it yet. Back in a few. Thanks, Frank

#4 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

If you went that far and the engine didnt lock up, I'd say something is wrong with your oil pressure indication system.

#5 fshnidiot

fshnidiot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Marysville

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

There's oil in the filter and some dripping out of the pump. No evidence of any oil antifreeze mixing, no bubbles in the radiator etc. The pressure guage needle comes up about 1/2 way to the 0 mark on the guage for a minute or so after startup and then drops to the stop peg as it warms up. Then I get the blow dryer effect. Frank

#6 fshnidiot

fshnidiot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Marysville

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:47 PM

New sending unit and I replaced the wiring with about 18-24" of old wiring replaced from where the harness splits behind the intake manifold.

#7 naru

naru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,774 posts
  • under the bridge

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

With the motor running i removed the oil filler cap and I have enough air coming out of it to use it as a blow dryer. Air is also blowing out the valve cover breather tubes like crazy

Hydraulic lifters?

That much blowby will overwhelm the PCV system,pressurize the crankcase and impair oil flow.Sorta like trying to blow up a tire with lung power.

IME,oil pump specs only confirm bad ones not good ones.
I`ve had ones that meet specs,but,were crap.

Sounds like your gauge has a problem.
I would try a mechanical gauge for confirmation.

Ticking might be a sticky valve.

Regardless of oil pressure,that much blowby indicates a serious engine problem.Consider a compression and/or leakdown test.

#8 fshnidiot

fshnidiot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Marysville

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

Non hydro motor. Oil pickup was there so that wasn't it. I dropped the pan and found some chunks in the bottom. 1 piece looks like JB weld or something that was molded into a hole so I'm gonna guess that it's dead:horse: and start the search for a good cheap short block to drop my manifold and weber on. Again.:( Thanks for the help, Frank

#9 DR DLEX

DR DLEX

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • spokane

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:27 AM

one thing to check is the oil pick-up o-ring

I have had one distort(melt) enough to loose oil pressure after warm-up...

it was the last thing I checked after I swapped 2 oil pumps with the same results

#10 fshnidiot

fshnidiot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Marysville

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

O-ring? What O-ring? There wasn't anything there. I'm gonna drop 1 in and see what happens and hope for the best. Thanks for the tip. Frank

#11 fshnidiot

fshnidiot

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Marysville

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

Well, atleast it reads at 0 oil pressure now so I'm guessing the gauge isn't working properly, and it still ticks, but it sounds quieter and wet, instead of dry and loud. Drive it till it blows time since I've already hurt it. Thanks for all the help! Frank

#12 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

install an aftermarket gauge and sending unit.

#13 DR DLEX

DR DLEX

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • spokane

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:43 AM

Well, atleast it reads at 0 oil pressure now so I'm guessing the gauge isn't working properly, and it still ticks, but it sounds quieter and wet, instead of dry and loud. Drive it till it blows time since I've already hurt it. Thanks for all the help! Frank

don't kill the goose before dinner.

check the valve covers for fresh oil...oil on each side=good
...oil on one side =bad
...very little or none=very bad--pull it

hopefully you have good wet valve covers.
in that case add a pint of 90w oil and drive the hell out of it

have fun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users