Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace Power Antenna with Manual

It's been a long time since I needed this board's advice--the subies have been pretty reliable.

Anyway, I have a 1995 Legacy Wagon Lsi with a left rear power antenna that went kaput. I tried replacing just the mast, but it was frozen inside the motor unit, and I could not get it out without destroying the whole assembly (and even then it was still frozen in place).

Don't want to spend a lot on the repair, so, I am looking to replace the power antenna with a manual one. Went shopping at Advance Auto for a standard generic manual antenna. But all of them seemed to assume a maximum 1" round hole for mounting. On the Lsi the hole in the rear quarter panel is a large oval of approximately 1" wide by 2.375" tall, too much to cover with a 1" mounting base. And it is oriented more or less vertically on the outside surface of the body. I wasn't able to mate the new antenna with the old grommet/antenna base.

Any suggestions on where I can find a manual antenna with a base that will cover the hole in the fender?

Thanx!

I have a 98 OBW with the same power antenna. I have not had to replace it, but, I have some thoughts........I don't think you are going to find an after market antenna assembly that will fit that odd shape body hole. Unfortunately, this pretty well mandates that you replace the antenna with a new power antenna that is OEM designed for Subaru. It will be costly, but it is prolly your best and easiest solution. Look around on E-Bay Motors in Subaru parts section for a power antenna unit. You just might get lucky and be able to buy one on the cheap.

You might find a used one from a wrecking yard, or you could always drill a hole on the top of a front fender to install a universal antenna. It is also possible to drill a hole in the roof, and install the manual type antenna that is OEM Subaru. However, personally, I don't feel comfortable about drilling holes in a Subaru for any reason......... Just another break in the paint that allows rust to form.

Yeah, my fallback plan is a new(er) OEM power unit, but I want to explore all my options first. I definitely want to avoid any additional holes. Don't want to give rust monster any more footholds than it already has.

I have a 98 OBW with the same power antenna. I have not had to replace it, but, I have some thoughts........I don't think you are going to find an after market antenna assembly that will fit that odd shape body hole. Unfortunately, this pretty well mandates that you replace the antenna with a new power antenna that is OEM designed for Subaru. It will be costly, but it is prolly your best and easiest solution. Look around on E-Bay Motors in Subaru parts section for a power antenna unit. You just might get lucky and be able to buy one on the cheap.

You might find a used one from a wrecking yard, or you could always drill a hole on the top of a front fender to install a universal antenna. It is also possible to drill a hole in the roof, and install the manual type antenna that is OEM Subaru. However, personally, I don't feel comfortable about drilling holes in a Subaru for any reason......... Just another break in the paint that allows rust to form.

In retrospect, it would have been much wiser to pull the plug and just keep it extended. But it was just going to be a 15 minute mast replacement...

if you haven't removed the old one yet, and it sounds like you have, can you manually extend the antenna and just leave it up?

just a thought.

Try these guys. They are pretty close. He is kinda unusual though.

Cindy's Classic Autos. Address is 300 Hwy.* 12 & 18 in Cambridge, WI. * (608) 423-4307.

With a big sign on the hill stating Subaru Heaven...

Thanks 3Pin, that's relatively close to me and worth a shot. What's not to like about Subaru Heaven...:)

Try these guys. They are pretty close. He is kinda unusual though.

Cindy's Classic Autos. Address is 300 Hwy.* 12 & 18 in Cambridge, WI. * (608) 423-4307.

With a big sign on the hill stating Subaru Heaven...

Just grab one from the junk yard, year really doesn't matter, to a point. I have a 1990 LS, and I replaced my attenna with one from a 1995. Had to splice the plug from the new unit onto the old wires, took like 5 min, and it worked like a champ. So I can imagine you should be able to do the same thing, or something similar with your car. Ended up costing me $8 at the yard. There are only 3 wires to work with I believe, and I just guessed and got them right on the second try :lol:

Good luck man!

Thanks for the advice, eulogious. That sounds like a plan.

steve

Just grab one from the junk yard, year really doesn't matter, to a point. I have a 1990 LS, and I replaced my attenna with one from a 1995. Had to splice the plug from the new unit onto the old wires, took like 5 min, and it worked like a champ. So I can imagine you should be able to do the same thing, or something similar with your car. Ended up costing me $8 at the yard. There are only 3 wires to work with I believe, and I just guessed and got them right on the second try :lol:

Good luck man!