Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 4 subarus... bought them all in the last 2 weeks. I am going to fix one for my wife..

1. 99 Legacy outback wagon with 70,000 miles on it...Pulled engine for timing belt, water pump, check heads, gaskets, seals, belts and hoses... should be back together on tuesday (just waiting to get the heads back on Monday)

2. 1999 Forester....Automatic with 150,000 on it. Trans is lazy... you start it and put it in drive and wait 30 seconds without touching the gas and then it goes into gear and shifts perfectly...I am going to put a transmission in it..

3. 1997 Legacy outback wagon car I bought that is rusted to death but runs and drives like new... I want to take the auto trans out of this car for the forester... Both are dual overhead 2.5 engines. But I noticed that one has more bolts between the motor and trans than the other one.... One has only 4 bolts (97 outback) the 1999 has 8 counting the starter bolts. What do I need to know as far as identification numbers for the automatics... Is there an interchange link I can access?

4. 1998 Forester that is a 5 speed and there is a clutch or transmission issue...Sometimes it makes a clunk noise when you go to shift it.. other times not... Going to put it on the lift and drain the fluids later this week to see if there is any metal in there... then I will probably go ahead and pull the transmission and look at the clutch and pressure plate to see if that tells me anything. An interchange list for the manual transmissions would be really helpful as well

Thank you for the help and info in Advance guys.

2. 1999 Forester....Automatic with 150,000 on it. Trans is lazy... you start it and put it in drive and wait 30 seconds without touching the gas and then it goes into gear and shifts perfectly...I am going to put a transmission in it..

3. 1997 Legacy outback wagon car I bought that is rusted to death but runs and drives like new... I want to take the auto trans out of this car for the forester... Both are dual overhead 2.5 engines. But I noticed that one has more bolts between the motor and trans than the other one.... One has only 4 bolts (97 outback) the 1999 has 8 counting the starter bolts. What do I need to know as far as identification numbers for the automatics... Is there an interchange link I can access?

first, the 99 trans is the first year of the phase 2 auto trans. it has a known slow to engage issue, at least the outbacks do and the forester is the same trans. some people have had good success with replacing the fluid, 3 drain and fills, and adding a bottle of ''Trans-X'' on the last fill. (a power flush is not recommended) there is a long long thread on this. search ''trans-x'' or transx or trans x, maybe throw in the word success, posted by rooster2 and read up. so using it may eliminate or postpone swapping the the trans.

it sounds like doing the swap is no big deal for you since you have a lift and know your way around a shop. but it is time and some money. no need to spend either if you don/t have to.

second, the phase 1 / phase 2 line is going to be a difficult one to cross in a swap. not only did they change the bolt pattern, which you can over come, but they changed the wiring harness and connector for the trans and added more sensors to the 99. so the 97 will not work in the 99. you need a 99 or 00 trans. maybe up to 04, but those aren't my years so i'm not sure.

try the trans x .

when you jump in you jump in BIG.

welcome to the party.

let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the quick reply... So it is not possible to switch over the sensor plugs from one transmission to the other?...I would not mind switching the plugs and sensors... I am used to Domestic auto repair and I have swapped out motors and transmissions for people where the unit ould work if you switched out the sensors so the wire harness would plug up...

Thanks for the quick reply... So it is not possible to switch over the sensor plugs from one transmission to the other?...I would not mind switching the plugs and sensors... I am used to Domestic auto repair and I have swapped out motors and transmissions for people where the unit ould work if you switched out the sensors so the wire harness would plug up...

there aren't any mounting points on the trans to switch the sensors to. they are spped sensors, i think, like the rear speed sensor on the trans and very much like the cam and crank sensors that work off of reluctors?, i think.

it is possible you could use a 99 in a 97 by discarding the wires to the un-needed sensors but i'm not sure and i don't think any one has tried it.

as i said, you can't cross the phase 1 / phase 2 line. it is one of the few that you can't cross. (the dealer mechanics would never tell you a 95 ej22 will drop in and run in a 99 ej25 outback, but it will. )

try the trans-x, it has worked for some folks for years. others not so much. but if you can drive the car for an $8 fix, why not. even if it is just to buy time while looking for a trans that will fit.

then if you do need a trans you can try looking on www.car-part.com . sort your search by distance. shipping is expensive. (by the way, the interchange software will probably only return 99s when looking for a trans for your car. if you want to see 00 or an outback trans you will have to search them year separately.)

Edited by johnceggleston

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it.

Going to look at three more subarus in the morning.

2002 Forester needing an engine

1999 Legacy with a good motor for the Forester

1999 forester for parts

both of the foresters are manual transmission

I can buy all three of them for $1400.... So I am going to try to make this happen...This will give me 3 subarus for my junk yard...Never hurts to have parts cars kicking around.

2002 Forester needing an engine

1999 Legacy with a good motor for the Forester

1999 forester for parts

these should all be phase 2 engines and as long as the 99 legacy is a 2.2L and not an outback or GT 2.5L all 3 of these engines will swap with each other. however, the cam sprockets may need to be swapped. they re-designed it at some point. but swapping in the one that came with the car / computer will make it work. compare the cam sprockets when the engines are out, if they are different, use the original.

Edited by johnceggleston

Pardon me if I am wrong.......you bought 4 Subies in the last two weeks, and now looking to buy 3 more Subies? That is incredible! Are you real, or just messing with us? You talk about more swaps then I can ever dream about. I will be glad to help if you are not messing with us.

Pardon me if I am wrong.......you bought 4 Subies in the last two weeks, and now looking to buy 3 more Subies? That is incredible! Are you real, or just messing with us? You talk about more swaps then I can ever dream about. I will be glad to help if you are not messing with us.

Sounds like a road trip to Jacksonville with a flat bed and a bunch of cash to get some Subies for parts/rebuilds to sell. Not that many around where I live and even the 15 yr old ones with 200k and needing engines are asking $2k :)

Hi,

I may have misunderstood but the '99 Forester in your 1st post will have the same SOHC 2.5 as the 2000.

As stated:

'96-'99 Legacy OB/GT/LSi are the DOHC EJ25D, Phase (version) 1 - also used in the '98 Forester and '98 Impreza RS.

'99 Forester/Impreza RS = SOHC EJ25 Phase 2

'99 + Legacy (non-GT/OB)/Impreza = SOHC EJ22 Phase 2

Trans:

-'98 5-speed - (been down this road myself) - it's a 4.11 FD ratio, PUSH-style clutch - hydraulic. Lots of interchange options from (@ least) OB's of the '96-99 era and the GT. The OB's have a different 5th gear ratio (same FD) than the GT or Forester, and will spin higher RPM @ a given speed, based on what I've read.

FWIW, I did the common '95 EJ22 swap into a '99 OB (yes, '99), which does have the extra bellhousing bolts. Other than (re)moving the locating dowls, I just used the 2.2's existing 4 bolts and was good to go....used the stock '99's computer to run it - no CEL.

GL,

TD

Edited by wtdash

I am not messing with anyone...

I can tell you what I paid for the cars... all off craigslist in my local area..

First car I bought was a 99 Legacy outback with 70,000 miles no rust.. had the timing belt and cam seals replaced poorly and the seals were leaking... I bought that car for $900... I pulled the engine and had the heads checked and planed... new gaskets seals water pump and timing belt...It is about ready to go

Second car was a 97 legacy wagon...150k runs perfect...really rusted no rockers doors have massive holes.. but the car runs like a top...I paid $275 for the car....

Third Subaru was a 2000 forester....160 k on it... runs good trans problem which people here say to trans x after changing the fluid a couple of times... I paid $700 for that car

Fourth one was 1998 forester 5 speed and the transmission is bad... runs awesome... just had the head gaskets and seals done 20,000 miles ago... Paid $600 for that car

You have to be quick on the draw and watch daily... but there are cheap subies out there...

Yes they sell quickly for these prices....I have missed out on several really cheap subarus in the last month...

Okay Vermont Subaru, I believe you are legit. Sounds like you have a cottage industry going of buying, then fixing, then selling Subies. Like you, I check Craig's list for Subies for sale here in Indiana. I don't have the garage facilities, time, or know how, on how to do engine & trany transplants, but it is fun to see what is up for sale.

Another good source of buying used Subies, (and other cars), is from the auto donation auctions like Goodwill Industries. Their auction here in Indy is every Saturday morning, with cars up for auction listed on their website on Thursday before the auction. Some really good deals can be had at these auctions, but they usually need work done on them.

You guys are right about Subaru's being expensive in some areas... I have a home in South Carolina about an hour south of Asheville NC... where subarus are pretty popular...

Well people in Asheville have money and they want a fortune for used Subarus there...They are usually rust free, but still... hard to pay 3-4k for a 12 year old car with a quarter of a million miles on it.

Luckily Subarus are more plentiful here and cheaper too! The subarus here are the most common car on the road...especially in Vermont... all this snow you have to have a 4wd....

I am not sure if there is a cottage industry here to be made or not... Firstly I needed a car for my wife.. She wanted a 4 wheel drive and She likes subarus... She wanted a forester originally but she was easy to sell on a clean low mileage outback.

I think I have the 2000 forester sold even before it is fixed because it is clean and rust free...Rust is a huge problem here in Vermont...Any vehicle of any make that is free of rust is easy to sell....

It would be nice if I could find buy fix and sell a couple of Subarus a month...For a little extra side money... We will see how it goes I guess. a good friend of mine has a rollback and I have access to a repair shop where I can work on and store the cars.... So I am lucky to have these tools at my disposal...Though to be fair I do a lot of work for these guys and I give them a little extra something whenever I sell a car and make a buck or two.. Keeps everyone happy....

I am not sure how many subaru parts cars I will buy...As far as damaged rusted or broken subarus that are not fixable... There is an inexhaustable supply here... With all the salt and rust...I do have limited space... So maybe after I get 5 or 6 parts cars I will stop buying donor cars...Because of limited space... I do not have the area available to start a real subaru boneyard or anything.

Got my first Subaru back running today..

Put the motor together thursday night and installed it on friday...took 3 hours to install I am getting better at pulling and replacing the subaru engines...I should be able to pull an engine pull the heads, do the gaskets seals and belts...Put it back together and install for 10 hours labour... Which makes it good if I buy one to sell.

The first one I put together is for my wife... Did the brakes all the way around... and a wheel bearing...And of course went through the engine with gaskets and seal just because I wanted to make sure everything was tip top.

I have to paint the alloy wheels I bead blasted tomorrow and bleed the brakes one last time and I should be taking the wife out to supper in it tomorrow night.:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Drove the Subaru for only one day and it broke down:mad:

Not getting fuel...So I would say it is likely the pump... I read my manual and it said to check the fuse.. but there is no fuel pump fuse on the fuse block that I could see...

And I pulled the access panel under the steering wheel and I did not see a set of relays that matched the ones in the picture in my repair manual

So I pulled the fuel pump last night and I will test it out this afternoon and replace it if necessary...Hoping that is the problem

Cheers guys

• 5 years later...

Will a 99 forester auto trany fit in a 97 legacy outback wagon?

I don't think so. i think 99 is phase II trans which have some changes. Someone else will confirm.

They're the same final drive ratio though.

Edited by grossgary