Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Where did Subaru hide the voltage regulator?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 04 March 2004 - 02:14 PM

I need to replace a voltage regulator in an '88 Gl wagon SPFI NA.

Is it in the alternator? Or is it near the battery like my Haynes manual says? Haynes doesn't have the best pictures, so what does it look like?

thanks guys

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 04 March 2004 - 02:16 PM

Its in the alternator.. it can be replaced, but its a lot easier to replace the whole alt.

#3 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 04 March 2004 - 02:21 PM

Im goin with cheap instead of easy this time. I think i'll try to replace it. By chance, do you know specifically where it is in the alternator? Hate to bug you too much. I just need to get it pulled from the JY by 3 or 3:30 this afternoon.

Thanks for all your help.

#4 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 04 March 2004 - 02:24 PM

Nope.. sorry.. I always just slap on a new alternator.. or a used one..:D

#5 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:42 PM

TRUST ME, you want to buy a junkyard alt instead. have you ever had an alt apart, you have to hold the regulaotr in there, while you line up the brushes, and push the shaft in, while holding the case apart, then you push it all together, perfectly. no fun at all. and not easy without ruining the brushes, or the regulator itself. the regulator is in the front or rear, where the staft would be.

#6 calebz

calebz

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 04 March 2004 - 04:53 PM

If its anything like replacing the diodes in a GM alt, its a real pain.

Arch.. does a soob alt have the little holes to put paperclips in to hold the brushes in place while it goes back together like a GM alt?

#7 All_talk

All_talk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Thorp (Ellensburg)

Posted 04 March 2004 - 05:06 PM

Originally posted by calebz
does a soob alt have the little holes to put paperclips in to hold the brushes in place while it goes back together like a GM alt?

Yep it dose, mine was on the blink and I tore it down, I thought it was a bad regulator.. turned out I had a couple of diodes that head de-soldered from the plate (dont ask me how :rolleyes: ). A bit of a trick to re-solder but you gotta love a no dollar fix.

The trouble I’ve found is that nobody sell alternator parts anymore, just complete units, anybody have a source on parts?

Gary

#8 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 04 March 2004 - 05:14 PM

checker up here was able to get me just a regulator, for sometihing like 70 bucks i think.

#9 MaroonDuneDoom

MaroonDuneDoom

Stick It To The Man!!!

• Members
  • 604 posts
  • Casper,Wy

Posted 04 March 2004 - 05:27 PM

$70!?!?!! ouch. Does that come with a kick in the arse too?

We have Checker, Napa, and Autozone here. I got a new regulator for $17.99. I did a bunch of alternator/starter teardowns a few years ago in auto shop. I still remember the jist of it anyways. And i've got a Haynes manual. Should be set. I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

#10 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 04 March 2004 - 09:45 PM

if you have done it befor, and arent working on the only one in existance, it shouldnt be so bad then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users