Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swapping brat generation body panels

HoleyBrat 1985

I have an 85 brat that I want to put a first gen front end on to.I was wondering if any one out there knows or has ever heard of swapping out second gen brat front end body panels (hood, grille,headlights and bracket, valance panel, fenders) for first gen panels. I've looked and looked on the forum and always came up short.:-\

I have test fitted some panels already and they look like they could fit with some cutting by the a pillar and door joints but I'd just like to know if anyone has ever thought or tried to attempt this, any help or info is appreciated

Thanks!!

I just wanted to work with what I have, keeping it original is not my intention, I want the 1st gen front end with the 2nd gen body as a custom brat a mix of both gens. Its not like my brat is in showroom condition, Its my project car. If it was in good condition it would be different but its not. I just wanted to know if they would connect with a little work.If not ok Ill work on getting mine roadworthy and then sell it for a 1st gen, just thought I'd try and work with what I have.

I have an 85 brat that I want to put a first gen front end on to.I was wondering if any one out there knows or has ever heard of swapping out second gen brat front end body panels (hood, grille,headlights and bracket, valance panel, fenders) for first gen panels. I've looked and looked on the forum and always came up short.:-\

I have test fitted some panels already and they look like they could fit with some cutting by the a pillar and door joints but I'd just like to know if anyone has ever thought or tried to attempt this, any help or info is appreciated

Thanks!!

I say don't listen to the nay sayers. Do what you want to do. If you can build it go for it. It would definitely be an original concept.

Thats what I was thinking, I know the bodies aren't Identical but it looks like it works, the second gen still has a little 70's style to it aft of the a pillar so the front would not look out of place. so I'm doing it no matter what. I think it would look really cool, glad to see not everyone is a naysayer on here.:banana:

yes the front end of the first gen has so much more character then the second gen, not to say the second gen front isn't good, it just looks too car like.

1st gens have more of a truck look to them, thats what i'm going for, after all it is a legitimate truck.

I guess it's one of those love it or hate it affairs.:burnout:

• 5 months later...
I agree with the judgement about the front styling. I've always like the Gen 1 grill, hood and headlights better. Did this project ever get off the ground ?

MHF

It's in progress, but I have yet to aquire the hood, cowling by the windshield, front splash pannel and headlight mounts.

Right now all I have is two beat up fenders and the grille off a 78 wagon. I will be documenting the prosess when I have all the parts, but for now my brat is acting as my second car when my other one goes wrong. hopefully I can come by these parts and start on it soon.:banana:

Keep going! That sounds fun! I really like the look of the dl gen2' date=' or 1981 to 82' fronts way better than the 83 gls and on.[/quote']

Thanks for the support, I'll be sure to take full documentation including pics of the process when I get everything together and post it here so anyone can do the swap if they so wish, even I'm excited to see how it will come out.:D