Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shudders when stopped at lights

i have never heard of anything not moving create a vibration,im taking bets on the lock up in the torqeconverter,when they finnally go they will stall the engine like it is a standard and you forgot to push the clutch in.OR a miss in the engine. ed

Maybe we are looking at the wrong end of this problem. How about a bottom pulley that is coming loose, or something else in the accessory drive that isnt quit right.

nipper

I guess you could call what mine does at lights "shuddering," though it doesn't feel like anything odd. I always attributed it to a slightly low idle (575-600rpm) and the fact that then engine is loaded a bit with the car in gear as the torque converter turbine is held still while the car is in gear and not moving. Since the engine is running, the converter pump is still spinning fluid around and creating resistance against the turbine, thus loading the engine a bit. I myself have slightly thicker fluid than most as I have a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix in there, so maybe that's causing extra resistance? It does stop when I throw it in neutral or park, btw. I'll get back to you guys when I switch to synthetic ATF next change interval (a few k).

I had a 90 auto leg that did this. Turned out to be a bad fuel injector. When the problem is happening disconnect one by one the fuel injector connections. If the problem gets worse go to the next one. If there is no change then I would say you have identified the bad injector.

On my 99 5spd I noticed shudder when letting the clutch out from a stop. Checked the fuel injector connections and found a broken clip on the connector. Used a zip tie to secure and the problem is fixed.

I dont get the connection to the discribed problem and axles??

Mike

About the axles being the cause. If I may try a hypotheses, if an axle is too long would'nt it transfer the engine and trans vibrations to the wheel and through the wheel to the rest of the car. The rubber motor mounts would then be «bypassed» cause the trans would have a direct metal on metal link to the body of the car through the wheel. Such a condition would be very hard on the front diff bearings and also on the front wheel bearings.

Just an idea.

About the axles being the cause. If I may try a hypotheses, if an axle is too long would'nt it transfer the engine and trans vibrations to the wheel and through the wheel to the rest of the car. The rubber motor mounts would then be «bypassed» cause the trans would have a direct metal on metal link to the body of the car through the wheel. Such a condition would be very hard on the front diff bearings and also on the front wheel bearings.

Just an idea.

How would the axle get longer?

the only thing that ever went wrong the the 94 5speed leg that i used to drive was that some meth head in denver stole it and totaled it. the 22 engine was the best subaru ever made...period i never had a single problem with the car ever even with 150k on it.

neal