Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i sense the end of my sooby

Well, i was leavin school today, and the 86 XT started actin up. When i started it, it was really loud and 'growled' i guess. Within a few feet, it started smellin funny, but not sure what it was. Also, it seemed like there was fairly big loss in power, and when the engine reved, it was 3 times as loud as usual, but like 1/2 the power. When i let go of the accelerator on the highway, it slowed Drastically, and made the sound of a baseball card in bike spokes (which after getting home and listening outside determined came from exhaust). Also, while ideling, you hear an almost uneven, loud, running like a boats outboard motor sound. Also, there was lots of exhaust (more than usual), didnt appear to dark usually, except when starting from complete stop; it was a bit darker from complete stop.

It is currently 34degF, snowy/slushyish- but i dont think its the weather, seems like a developing problem.

Any suggestions, or am i just screwed??

_____

JB

JB:

I would start with compression and take it from there. A compression check will cut this down to size in a hurry. You may have blown a head gasket (funny smell, lack of power) or one of your belts may be ready to go (very loud, baseball card sound).

Most of the symptoms you mention seem to point to the head gasket, but it it's far from a sure bet. What kind of oil pressure are you reading? How about the temp guage?

John

temp seems about right.. after warming up generally remains at slightly above the midpoint..

oil pressure runs average, drops down when ideling, but ive always had to keep track of the oil (it IS a 86 soob afterall :rolleyes: )..

About the compression check, i dont have the equipment, and cant afford to take it in, so is there anything quick and easy i can do?

ALSO: When i was listenin and revin the the engine up - there was a fairly prominent almost highpitched whisteling comin from the front - dont know what that meay point to, but it is a new development..

Thanks Again

I sounds like the problem may be with the exhaust......I would check for an exhaust leak first just to rule it out....

my car got REALLY loud and clankiny a couple weeks ago..sounded liek my engine was detonating!! turned out that a 2 out of 3 bolts on my exhaust manifold were missing.

I was going to suggested that too. The exhaust. Sounds like what happened to my Celica when I curbed it and ripped my exhaust pipe open between the cat and muffler. I didn't loose power or smoke anymore though. Just sounded like a Nascar race truck!

--GoatBoy--

JB:

Yeah, I was thinking exhaust too, but losing power doesnt make sense.

The compression guage is not all that expensive. One of those discount auto parts stores (Auto Zone) may even have one to lend.

This is a longshot, but check to see if one of your spark plugs is loose or blown out. This is about the only single incident I can think of that would account for all the symptoms you describe.

good luck, John

Can someone give me a fairly detailed runthrough on how to preform the compression check - like, i know this is a very sad newb question, but block throttle open, do that using throttle valve? and crank over, how exactly..??..

all help apreciated

JB:

Not a dumb question at all...

There are actually several ways to do the test. I'll describe how I do it (instructions with the compression guage may be different, but will also work):

Run your car up to operating temp if at all possible

Make sure your battery is fully charged

Disconnect coil wire, and jump the coil (two alligator clips and a legnth of wire) to chassis ground.

Mark your wires for correct firing order, and remove ALL spark plugs

Screw the guage into the spark plug hole and have someone crank the engine. Make sure the guage is fully threaded and not leaking.

Write down the max PSI for each cylinder. Not a bad idea to go around twice to confirm your readings.

When you have your PSI readings, post the results on this thread for some opinions.

good luck, John

JB:

Crank the engine normally - as if you were to start the car. Don't worry, it won't start. By grounding the coil to the chassis, the car cannot fire.

You are trying to build up pressure inside the motor, and measuring what that pressure is. The readings, and their location will give you some good clues as to the condition of your engine. Getting accurate readings is important, so do this procedure as many times as necessary. Be especially careful with "0" readings. They may truly be 0 psi, or they may be because the guage isn't completely seated.

good luck, John

Compression check came back:

(Looking from front)

LR:170 --- RR:165

LF:165 --- RF:165

Theres no major differences, and none seem too low, so im guessin its good?? I didnt add any 'squirts of oil' since the psi seemed pretty reasonable. I DO know theres an exhaust leak - exhaust coming out from under the car, so as soon as it stops snowin, ill put it up and see where it is... how much am i lookin at to fix it, and do i 'fix' it or replace entire system for something.. newer..??

I did change out plugs and wires (one wire was completely rusted on the harness in the boot), and it feels like it runs better, except for exhaust.

PS Thanks for all the help so far and putting up with my 'newbieness', this board rocks :headbang: !! I only wish i would have been back from vacation in time to place a sweathsirt order... I guess (hope) theres always next time!

________

JB

JB:

Those readings are excellent. You can safely rule out the headgasket. That should put your mind to ease a bit.

I'm starting to lean towards the plugged cat theory. This would explain the noise and lack of power. If it were mine, I would drop everything from the Y back (since your exhaust needs work anyway). You can inspect the cat by holding it up to the sun. If you can't see light, it's shot. You may be able to salvage it otherwise. The rest of your exhaust will probably have to be replaced. You can do the work yourself if you can get it up on ramps.

good luck, John

Originally posted by Forkspear

Not opening the throttle will just show you less compression than what you really have. 160 is great.

I forgot to do this recently when checking my compression on an XT6. This is good to know even though 4 of my cylinders where almost right on the money. 1 was higher than normal (carbon build up I guess....higher compression..woohoo) and 1 was right on the verge of being out of factory specs.

I don't know how fuel will affect your readings but I disconnected my fuel pump by unplugging it. I didn't want fuel pumping into the cylinders to affect my readings. I didn't see this mentioned...so.... :)