Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stellaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!NEW PICS!!!!

monstaru

Some front lift blocks

IMG_5629.jpg

Some rear droppage for block install,this one was interesting.I lowered the crossmember with 2", and just used the Outback 1" block for the front of the diff.Keeping it up a skosch in the front..

IMG_5630.jpg

I ran into a hitch with the rear strut tops.The Forester tops are rubberized , and do not allow you to pound out the studs to add longer studs for block install. I may try to find or fab some internal nuts out of small tubing.

Or I may just go get some strut tops fromt the dealer.It would be easier, and I could get group N's:-p..

We will see.

All of the rear lift is in, except the strut tops.So tomorrow will be transfering wiring on the transmissions, and getting that thing in the car for the new transmission mount to be fabbed.

The thing about only putting 2 inches of lift in this car is that the trans wil still be "in the tunnel",the mount actually goes up from the body to mount the trans.

So, if you make the mount flat across, it is still tucked up a bit, but dropped the 2 inches I need it to be.

IE:

transmissioncrossmemberexplanation.png

I am super close.The New, New engine is basically put together now.So that will start going in as soon as the trans is mounted.

Woot!

cheers

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the rest of the Lift in today.Ended up using the metal lift pieces in the rear too.

IT worked out.

I also got the trans mount done too.So the transmission is installed.

Built the 4.44 LSdiff.Have to get different axles.It seems that I have a different spliined diff currently.So, new axles I guess.

We will be firing up the motor tomorrow.Woot!!

Got the rest of the Lift in today.Ended up using the metal lift pieces in the rear too.

IT worked out.

I also got the trans mount done too.So the transmission is installed.

Built the 4.44 LSdiff.Have to get different axles.It seems that I have a different spliined diff currently.So, new axles I guess.

We will be firing up the motor tomorrow.Woot!!

If that LSD unit is a factory subi one with the stub shafts you can just use rear axles out of a first gen Legacy, I did that in my Impreza.

If that LSD unit is a factory subi one with the stub shafts you can just use rear axles out of a first gen Legacy, I did that in my Impreza.

About the exact time you posted I had just figured that out by going to parts stores.3 to be exact.

I happened to come to the conclusion from memories, remembering the years that were based on transition.I figured to ask for '90 :Legacy.Figuring that '89 and '91 were at the fore and aft of the engineered thought process.

The lengths of axles are based upon compressed length.The first gen axles are between 26.45 or something , up to 27.

The Impreza axles are 30.somethin.

There was a no difference in fitted length.

I was stoked .

Last night I was kinda worried I ************ed myself.

First, we primed her proper.Then...

th_MVI_5644.jpg

Then we realized that the crank angle sensor had a broken wire.So after soldering that *************** we got down with some start action.Then did the recomended break in time for the cams.It was a nervous time, but It seems like the only thing to worry about is the valve adjustment and random Passenger side front hub/axle weirdness.

Don't know if it is relatedd, but The trans has a discrepency as well.It says that the torque converter clutch solenoid circuit P0743.Lookin at that as we speak....

Anyway, The engine is running!!!

th_MVI_5646.jpg

Some valve adjustment and some minor other mechanical issues seem to be the only stumps to jump.Tomorrow is another day,plug away .

cheers

ClICK PIC FOR VIDEO!!!!

Edited by monstaru

WElp.She is home.I have an exhaust rattle,And a P0743 DTC.

The crazy thing is that the TRansmission shifts gears just fine,Got it up to 75ish and was a good runner.

This vid shows what it shows:

th_MVI_5651.jpg

New exhaust cat back from 05 STI w/super low miles.Never even ran in the rain.

IMG_5652.jpg

I will make a new dog bone tomorrow, Then I can clean the car up and out of stuff, so I can drive it and look for noises.Adjust

Cheers

Edited by monstaru

Got the dog bone done today, and installed a filler neck for the radiator.I think that I will do a video walkaround tomorrow.

She is working her kinks out slowly but surely.

I love driving her.I almost caused about 5 wrecks today!:drunk:(from rubberneckers, not me ;) )

cheers

I think your wrong...the STI stamping on the tail pipe is an instant 30 extra horse right there...bumping from a 2.5in to a 3.0in exhaust is another 20, so there's 50 extra just from the exhaust change, on top of that the frekien motor build that's another 45...so if it came stock with 160 (2.5 block) and you add the 95 total in up grades, that comes out to about 255HP total output.

Ya that sounds about right....:grin:

th_MVI_5657.jpg

Here is a walk around video.No talking , but you get the point.Yes I need to adjust my valves.I just have been runnin around trying to get over to the wetside for work.

I will take care of it soon.

1997 Impreza

AWD 4.44's,LSdiff out back.

suspension upgrades

cooling system upgrades

new tires

I already wired in a second fuse block for the future lights,cb, and ancillaries.

I have a turbo alternator that I need to put in.

It drives well, has a few clunks here and there.The rear end may be a little tight , or completely shot.If so then I will just plop an vlsd in there.

It chatters till it warms up.A front axle is clicking pretty bad, but the boot is good, and it barely shudders under pressure.

Besides the valves, the engine runs awesome.Its even got guts with the auto..

welp, hope you like her.

cheers

Edited by monstaru

How is it on burning oil? My frankenmotor would go through a quart every 500 miles or so. the higher compression killed the valve seals, or least finished them off.

Did you keep the abs when you swapped to rear disc brakes?

If so, you can wire in a toggle switch to the abs fuse instead of having to pop the hood and pull or plug the fuse every time.

nice pushbar!

How is it on burning oil? My frankenmotor would go through a quart every 500 miles or so. the higher compression killed the valve seals, or least finished them off.

Did you keep the abs when you swapped to rear disc brakes?

If so, you can wire in a toggle switch to the abs fuse instead of having to pop the hood and pull or plug the fuse every time.

nice pushbar!

Negative ghost rider, no oil burning .I had my heads rebuilt,so I would hope they put new valve seals in.

************ ABS :)........

cheers

I just think it is a waste on a car like this.I found that I had the fuse out all the time anyway.So, when I installed rear disc's, I just cut the sensors off.:D

OK, so , an update.

New Thermostat from Subaru,check.

CLicking from axle fixed,check.

Leak over the taillight, hopefully check:banghead:

The rear Lsd has calmed down , it needed to work the fluid in after sitting in a field for 2+ years.It works:drunk:.

The solenoid B is gone out on the transmission.I got another from Eulogious yesterday.(Thanks BRo)I will probably attempt to install it this week , may have time, may not.

I picked up an old carpenters kit box from my boss that he was not using.

I will be using it inthe back hatch area for tool/parts storage.

BLah blah......

Here is a picI shot in a parking lot last weeek next to a stock Outback:Just for reference;)

IMG_0006.jpg

cheers wheelin trip soon to Tahuya.I will post up a count thread!cheers:drunk:

Do the roller rocker delta cats come with shims?

What's your clearance height at now?

That bumper/pushbar is tits.

I was also thinking about throwing in some removable tool compartments behind the front seats. Im always driving around with my dog in the back and the seat backs down. so i am going to build them to be used with the seats down or up. keeping the weight in front of the rear axle and low cg. the guys at the shop were giving me ship for driving around with my tools all the time, saying "if you get in a head on collision, that toolbox is gonna give you a headache."

Also thinking about throwing a full size spare tire gate on the rear.

Edited by impoutback 97

Do the roller rocker delta cats come with shims?No idea why they would

What's your clearance height at now? Havna mesaured on a flat surface yet

That bumper/pushbar is tits.************in A :)

I was also thinking about throwing in some removable tool compartments behind the front seats. Im always driving around with my dog in the back and the seat backs down. so i am going to build them to be used with the seats down or up. keeping the weight in front of the rear axle and low cg. the guys at the shop were giving me ship for driving around with my tools all the time, saying "if you get in a head on collision, that toolbox is gonna give you a headache."Yeh, I am still trying to get to that .

Also thinking about throwing a full size spare tire gate on the rear.

I have been throwing around ideas, But weight is something I have been thinking about.And , I seem to have the ability to stuff and stow ************ everywhere.I took out the rear hatch interior because I got tired of it being wet from last spring,Thought I had fixed the leak until I came over to the wetsidE and found it again.

I think I am growing gills,which is weird for a bird, man, i'm tellin ya.:lol:

I think that I gained about 5 cubic feet if not more just by taking out the stupid plastic on the sides.

Even though I will have a case for the tools and parts, being able to stuff fluids and rags, and soft parts into the rear body crevices.

cheers