Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifting a 97 legacy wagon 2.2 auto awd

granthood

HELP. my soobie is in pieces. My name is grant and i own a 97 legacy wagon 2.2 auto awd. i have recently installed a 3" SJR lift. One of my questions is on the struts. Can i buy OEM replacement outback struts of the same year and bolt them right on? I know they will add another inch and allow for bigger tires. Or is there a better way to go. Next is the brakes. I obviously want the larger outback brakes. What all will I need to replace? Or once again. Let me know if there is a better way. Next is rims. I dont want to. But will buy aftermarket rims. What junkyard 15 inch rims will fit stock bolt pattern. Im want to run 27 in tires without having to cut up my wheel wells. Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

The Outback struts should bolt right up; they're basically just a little longer. You might need fast cam bolts to get the camber set right.

I don't know the details of the lift kit, but you might need to make sure the axles are long enough/don't have too much of an angle in them if also using the Outback struts.

For the Outback brakes, as far as I know, you just need the caliper and bracket, and of course pads and rotors. I believe the caliper bracket will bolt right onto the existing wheel housing. Doing the front and rear would help keep it balanced (provided yours isn't a Brighton, which had rear drums).

Some Chevy Cavalier and I think some Datsun wheels might match the 5x100 bolt pattern, but you'd have to check the offsets and hub bore sizes too. Of course any wheels you get you need to make sure they clear your bigger brakes.

My lift drops the engine, tranny, driveline, rear subframe and trailing arms 3 inches to allow for 3 inch strut towers. Which keeps the factory geometry. My reason for wanting the outback struts is that the lower spring perch on the strut is higher allowing a larger tire. I dont want to put a lift on and not be able to run a bigger tire because of the perches. If i do use OB struts and springs do I need to change the trailing arm brackets. Are there any other parts from the OB I would want for my legacy?

• 8 months later...

Pretty much all that info is on here or on another Subaru forum. Basically the strut assemblies, rear trailing arm bracket, longer steering u joint, different steering column(at least from what I have seen) lift blocks on front and rear crossmembers, and the tranny mount.