Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just a EJ22 thought and request.

Just deck the heads. It shouldn't cost much more than a resurface.

do you have to strip out the heads, or can you shave it with all the valves, springs, rings etc. in them? and ow $$ is a head shave?

Edited by superu
  • Like 3

Deck the heads and block both i like the 2.5 with 2.2 crank and rods and 2.5 turbo pistons makes a 2.3 destroker plane the block plane the heads put a turbo on it watch out the 2.2 we use a 2.2 b with 2.5 single cam heads and turbo it gives a good comp ratio and big volume heads or the 2.2 with 2.5 dohc heads works good to turbo or na the 1.8 we put the 2.2 turbo heads on it to lower comp and increase the flow then turbo it. The best one yet is the 09 sti short block with 98 2.5 dohc heads on it 10 psi of boost in my 79 wagon with high low thiss engine is fast. The race buggy uses a .50 over phase 2 2.5 with forged wiscos and 2.5 single cam ported and polished heads with 10 psi boost and 50 hp nitrios 2800 high stall and 4.44 gears thiss moter works very well comp tests out at 145 psi.

that sounds like an F'n beast of a motor!!!

I have to pull exhaust studs and intake pins then i just jig it up and plane them takes about 1/2 hour each valves in needs to be clean and dry. The block halfs are a bitt harder to plane takes some difacult jiging up but they come out very good and gasket sealing is not a problem when both head and block are planed. Oh that post about engines thats 3 different engines not one

• Confused 1

• 5 months later...

Dont know if anyone caught thiss or not the 95-96 25d is not the same as the 96and up 25d it uses hydrolic lifters and grafite head gaskets and bigger pistons. And go's 250000-350000 kms with no headgasket problems have one here 380000kms origanal headgaskets and no leaks. I tryed to buy the grafite gaskets but unavalabe to be had. Anyway thiss engine was the good 2.5d not to be mixed up with the crapy steel headgasket 96 and up 2.5d with the pain in the --- addjustable bukets.

• 3 months later...

Hmm, hadn't heard that one. guess I didn't know the 2.5 came out pre 96. . . This is a good story thanks for sharing!

Dont know if anyone caught thiss or not the 95-96 25d is not the same as the 96and up 25d it uses hydrolic lifters and grafite head gaskets and bigger pistons. And go's 250000-350000 kms with no headgasket problems have one here 380000kms origanal headgaskets and no leaks. I tryed to buy the grafite gaskets but unavalabe to be had. Anyway thiss engine was the good 2.5d not to be mixed up with the crapy steel headgasket 96 and up 2.5d with the pain in the --- addjustable bukets.

• 1 month later...

what Ivan's talking about is the short valve vs long valve EJ25D.   The 97/97 were the long valve motor, and the 95/96 was the short valve IIRC.  ( I might be backwards, 95/96 might be the long valve) Biggest difference is the 95/96 says Dual Cam on the valve covers and the 97/98 doesnt have any writing on the valve covers.  I'll vouch for the 95/96 EJ25D.  It is a more durable motor than the 97/98.

knock on wood, my 98 EJ25D just hit 160k with original HGs

Edited by torxxx

• 3 months later...

The reason why people don't prefer the EJ25D in the present is because of all the head gaskets the ones in the past went through.
They pop head gaskets like Pringles & when they do, the internals become compromised due to the acidic oil/coolant mixture.
So even if you DO fix the head gasket problem, now you have to worry about a rod popping through the block, which happened to me.
Observe.
3b86.jpg
Happened to me in 2011, even after the previous owner replaced the head gasket.
I've replaced the block with a 1995 EJ22E & it hasn't given me a single issue, aside from the usual light piston slap the EJ22 is known for, during the entire 20k miles I've been driving it.
The compression ratio is at 9.5:1 & it has a little more kick than the regular 22E in the midrange rpms, but not quite as much as the 25D, which I can definitely live with. 

I'm in the process of building an ej22, with eg33 pistons and 97-99 ej25d heads.  By the calculations I should have 10.4:1 compression ratio, and the better flowing dohc heads.  No idea what kind of power it will make, but it should be fun lol.

I'm in the process of building an ej22, with eg33 pistons and 97-99 ej25d heads.  By the calculations I should have 10.4:1 compression ratio, and the better flowing dohc heads.  No idea what kind of power it will make, but it should be fun lol.

That was my goal before I put this one together but I was running short on time & couldn't find EG33 pistons. 

Open up your intake ports (port match the head & manifold ports) & do nothing to your exhaust ports. 

Run the 25D ECU with that combo & your engine should be VERY rowdy in the midrange & run as smooth as silk.

Just make sure you do not use composite head gaskets & use the Cometic or Victor Reinz gaskets for 2.2 hybrids.

They will pretty much nullify the possibility of blown head gaskets due to being perfectly matching to the 25D heads.

If my engine makes about 150bhp w/a 9.5:1 compression ratio, then I am guessing that you'll be producing about 165-170bhp.

That engine will love to rev though so unless you have done the power mode mod or have a 5 speed, you'll be missing out.

The power mode mod is on my list, I don't have any extra harnesses around to get the right size pin from currently(waiting on a trip to the salvage yards).  Also waiting on the cometic gaskets to show up, were back ordered when I ordered them.  I've got 6 left over pistons, ended up buying 10 to get a full set of "B"s for my block, if you decide to do another they probably aren't going anywhere lol. 

I've been over your build tread a few times on one of the other forums, quite impressed by your fuel mileage results.

The power mode mod is on my list, I don't have any extra harnesses around to get the right size pin from currently(waiting on a trip to the salvage yards).  Also waiting on the cometic gaskets to show up, were back ordered when I ordered them.  I've got 6 left over pistons, ended up buying 10 to get a full set of "B"s for my block, if you decide to do another they probably aren't going anywhere lol. 

I've been over your build tread a few times on one of the other forums, quite impressed by your fuel mileage results.

Thanks. I am getting the increased mpgs due to both good driving habits, a slightly enhanced ignition/intake setup, & most importantly, the 30% decrease in cylinder bore from the EJ22E block swap. 

I know you have the exhaust, what sort of ignition mods do you have?

I've been reading over some of the coil on plug conversions on nasioc and rs25.  Ordered a set of 02 wrx cop's for cheap just to play around with it.

I have an 8239 MSD ignition coil, low resistance wires, & low resistance spark plugs. 

I have kept the custom intake & got rid of the custom cat back. 

The exhaust is now completely stock for now but I am currently thinking of a way to keep my stock cats & run another custom catback exhaust.

I've been looking for a used STi catback for cheap, I figure the 2.5" would be right nice for this motor, with some headers and deleting the second cat.

Depending on how the cop install goes, I'll post up a thread on the conversion.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for a used STi catback for cheap, I figure the 2.5" would be right nice for this motor, with some headers and deleting the second cat.

Depending on how the cop install goes, I'll post up a thread on the conversion.

I just had a custom resonator delete & 2.5in piping from cat to 3in piping last year. The car sounded marvelous. Unfortunately, the custom piping kept needing to be re-weld, so I ditched the whole system for the stock setup. 2.5in is perfect for the 2.2 or 2.5L. 

• 2 months later...

I can't believe the discussion about the 2.2 vs. the 2.5 has been going on for so long.

In 2004 I bought a 98 Outback Limited from a good friend. It had about 135k on it, mostly highway miles and very well maintained.

Within two years the head gaskets on the 25d blew. At the time there was only one Suby shop in town besides the stealership, and they told me if I replaced the head gaskets it was likely they would blow again at some point. I'm guessing this was before the six star MLS gaskets became available or were widely known. The shop searched for an EJ22 in decent condition and couldn't find one for a long time.  Finally I bit the bullet and bought a fully rebuilt EJ22 from Colorado Component Rebuilders.

Seven years later, no blown head gaskets. A few minor oil leaks (I think mainly from when I tried to run synthetic in it, it didn't like that) and that's it. I do spark plugs and filters and oil changes and it's happy.

BUT the power is definitely lacking for this particular car. I have the 4EAT, so that makes it worse. I've been trying to figure out what to do to get this thing to go. Get a rebuilt 25d with the new gaskets? CCR wants about 4k for one which seems insane to me (they do good work, but damn that's more than the car's worth). Go Frankenmotor? Go balls-out and try to swing a WRX swap (plus wiring, plus exhaust, etc. etc.)? Or sell my 4EAT car and get a 2.2 Subaru with a manual? I really like the Outback chassis, it's a great fit for me.

The 95-96 25d mentioned above sounds intriguing.

Anyway, I don't expect anybody to tell me what to do here, this is just my personal venting of 2.2/2.5 related angst. First-world problems :lol:. I love the car, but that power vs. reliability tradeoff has always bugged me.

• 1 month later...

Sooo, I have a question on the ej22. I have a 97 Impreza obs ej22. This subie has a phase 2(interference) engine correct? Im looking at a used 90 ej22. This is a phase 1 engine(non interference). If I put the phase1 heads on the phase 2 block is it still an interference engine?