Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just a EJ22 thought and request.

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 Subaru Scott

Subaru Scott

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cape Coral, FL

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:36 AM

My 91 EJ22 will turn over 400k by the first of the year. Still runs like a sewing machine. I have always run it hard and pull trailers several times weekly. Never had a 2.5 so maybe I don't know the power I'm missing but it gets the job done and I'm happy with the power it has. Aside from peripherals, belts, pulleys, water pumps, clutches, and plugs, it had one injector fail at 300k and I just replaced the valve cover gaskets... that's it.

PS:  Castrol GTX ;)

#77 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,253 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

Sooo, I have a question on the ej22. I have a 97 Impreza obs ej22. This subie has a phase 2(interference) engine correct? Im looking at a used 90 ej22. This is a phase 1 engine(non interference). If I put the phase1 heads on the phase 2 block is it still an interference engine?

No.  Your 97 is still phase 1, it is the revised version with slightly higher compression.  Changing to the earlier heads will keep it as an interference engine because it was the piston redesign that made it that way.  The phase 2 didn't start until '99.

#78 Aluxes

Aluxes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • mt. shasta, ca

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

I know you have the exhaust, what sort of ignition mods do you have?

I've been reading over some of the coil on plug conversions on nasioc and rs25.  Ordered a set of 02 wrx cop's for cheap just to play around with it.

Hey have you tried the coil on plug ignition mod? I read some not so great things about them. Iam interested in the MSD 8239 coil that DOHCEJ22E posted about. I looked into it and MSD said it will not fit. I tried to get some info from MSD about how to make it work, but was like pulling teeth with them. Do you know if he did some kind of mod to make it work?

#79 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,253 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

No I haven't done it yet, I'm still on the fence about it honestly.

The msd coil is one made for a Neon, to make it work you have to get a pig tail from one and splice it together with a pigtail from the subaru to make an adapter harness so it's plug and play.

#80 Aluxes

Aluxes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • mt. shasta, ca

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

A pigtail? You mean the coil plug from the Neon wiring? Then cut off my stock plug and wire in the neon plug?

#81 Aluxes

Aluxes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • mt. shasta, ca

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

Anyone know if its possible to change dual port phase 1 heads to the roller rocker type valve train?

#82 Aluxes

Aluxes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • mt. shasta, ca

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

Ah never mind, someone else on another forum already answered the question

#83 Scooner

Scooner

New User

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

I can't believe the discussion about the 2.2 vs. the 2.5 has been going on for so long.
In 2004 I bought a 98 Outback Limited from a good friend. It had about 135k on it, mostly highway miles and very well maintained.
Within two years the head gaskets on the 25d blew. At the time there was only one Suby shop in town besides the stealership, and they told me if I replaced the head gaskets it was likely they would blow again at some point. I'm guessing this was before the six star MLS gaskets became available or were widely known. The shop searched for an EJ22 in decent condition and couldn't find one for a long time. Finally I bit the bullet and bought a fully rebuilt EJ22 from Colorado Component Rebuilders.
Seven years later, no blown head gaskets. A few minor oil leaks (I think mainly from when I tried to run synthetic in it, it didn't like that) and that's it. I do spark plugs and filters and oil changes and it's happy.
BUT the power is definitely lacking for this particular car. I have the 4EAT, so that makes it worse. I've been trying to figure out what to do to get this thing to go. Get a rebuilt 25d with the new gaskets? CCR wants about 4k for one which seems insane to me (they do good work, but damn that's more than the car's worth). Go Frankenmotor? Go balls-out and try to swing a WRX swap (plus wiring, plus exhaust, etc. etc.)? Or sell my 4EAT car and get a 2.2 Subaru with a manual? I really like the Outback chassis, it's a great fit for me.
The 95-96 25d mentioned above sounds intriguing.
Anyway, I don't expect anybody to tell me what to do here, this is just my personal venting of 2.2/2.5 related angst. First-world problems :lol:. I love the car, but that power vs. reliability tradeoff has always bugged me.

When I lived in colorado I bought a 2001 Outback from my brothers shop with a blown motor and called CCR and thought their price was a little steep for a SOHC 2.5 long block, I think it was almost $4000. I ended up buying a new long block from Doug at Super Rupair in Boulder for just under $3000 and ran awesome, everything was brand new and good quality parts. I think we put 20k on it with no problem ever. You're the first person to mention CCR that ive seen, I wonder if they'd be willing to do a Franken motor? Haha probably not I know the dude at Rocky Mtn Roos in Golden, CO thought it was a ridiculous idea, if you have that many subaru resources why not experiment?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users