Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 subaru loyale 3" suspension lift?

Prwa101

ive seen people making 2" lifts with 2x2" square tubing for the front, and then cutting them at a 15d angle so it dosnt change the camber.

Does a suspension lift change the camber that much if any at all? Does any one know what the degree cut would be for a 3" lift rectangle tubing so it dosnt change the camber? What ive come up with was a 21.5d?

how much does a lift increase the tip rate? or decrease the distance between the two front tires?

Im looking for more clearance under my Subaru for this summer, not really wanting to run larger tires as it will kill my mpg, but if it comes to that what, are a good size tire for terrain?

thanks, anything would help! kinda new to the Subaru world, but im lovin it so far!

Prwa101

3 inches won't work on a Loyale without lowering the subframe......at least for the fronts for sure.

Your axles will be at so steep an angle, they will hit the control arm mount of the crossmember.

You could perhaps get away with just blocking down the subframe 1-2 inches, and going 3" on tops.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm interested to know the camber info as well. If anyone could share their knowledge on the camber angles for 3" and 4" (for me :grin:)front block lifts for ea82 it would be much appreciated!

I've judiciously searched the forums for this information but couldn't seem to find it... :horse:

Zach :banana:

The angle is the same for both, really no matter how tall you go, the angle remains the same.

Don't lift the corners if you don't lift the center bits as well, there are a bunch of guys that make some good kits, listed in the Offroad FAQ, for most of us it's been money well spent, and someone has already done all the hard work for you.

the lift angle is 7.5* because the stut mounting plate and its corespeonding body mount is angled at 7.5*.If you don't angle blocks or offset the bolts then the outside of the tire gets pushed out, like this \ /.with the offset it lowers the strut vertically.

if your not set on 3" you can run 2" suspension lift on a EA82 for a long time without too many issues.And a 2" suspension lift does add clearance even if you don't run bigger tires.it raises the crossmember up 2".

a 2" suspension lift on an EA82 has like 8 total pieces. 6 2x2 sections for the front struts and some flat stock for the rear..

EA81 with a 2 in suspension lift eats axles like candy.Ive always heard that the EA82's could take that sort of angle much better,and that a 2" suspension lift on an EA82 was fine.

they cant. my ea82 2inch lift made brand new axles sound like they were like 10 years old and pretty much ruined them the 5-10 miles i drove before dropping the crossmember. if you do a 2 inch suspension or body your axles will squirt grease everywhere and self destruct unless you at least drop the crossmember. its very easy and alot cheaper than new axles.

Everyone should know all this by now. !0 years ago, i built a lift myself. That is how it was done. Too many people come and ask all this stuff like it's wikipedia, not acknowledging that all the info here is firs-hand knowledge from those who bothered to engineer this stuff with no prior references.

I'm just a guy whos trying to get something done correctly the first time. I'm not asking you to build me a lift kit and come to my house to install it so I don't get my fingers dirty. I understand all of this knowledge is first hand as it is relatively inevitable to determine by looking through this site.

You may know everything though I honestly do not. Any question I ask is with good intent, and if you feel upset by something I have said I apologize. Though, I will continue to make comments and ask questions as I see fit. If you would like to answer them I appreciate it, if not who cares? lol

Zach

I make design and sell liift kits for Subaru cars, on a EA81 I would go straight up lift everthing the same , on a EA82 (loyale) I go 1" over stock front and rear so if you want a 3" lift go 3" at the struts and shocks and 2" on the rest of the suspension, , now on the rear you dont need to drop the swing arm pivot tube, just the diff , good luck and happy Wheelin

bananadance.gif:banana:cheer.gif:banana:bananadance.gifbananadance.gifbananadance.gifcheer.gif:banana: