Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine cooling

I'm pretty sure I know what the answer to my problem is but just want to get some reassurance.

On my '87 GL Turbo Wagon (5-speed) I can drive around town and the temp gage acts as it should. For the entire winter my daily highway driving also had the temp gage in the middle range. On winter days where the ambient air temp reached 55 or higher it seems as if the temp gage ran way up high, and very close to the red zone.

Typical symptoms of a radiator thats on it's way out?

Now, how about a replacement? Are the turbo radiators heavier than the standard EA82's? Also, is a radiator from a turbo with automatic tranny heavier duty than a turbo shifter car?

If you don't think the radiator is the problem where should I begin troubleshooting?

a new radiator never hurts. but..........

there are extensive threads out there that cover cooling dilemmas. A cooling system is fairly basic and easy to understand.

Check out the search function. You'll fnd plenty of info.

I suggest getting your basic info and troubleshooting from there.

wish ya luck

You know that is funny mine is the same on cold days it runs hotter. I think it is either the dam digi dash, maybe the temp is effecting the soilder on the back. Once the interior in my car gets warm the temp bar dissappears.

Or maybe (correct me if wrong) the mech fan is tweaking out. Ya I know it has all that hot air blowing on it from the rad. But the air comming off the rad is not the temp of your engine. Maybe I am biased I hate mech fans with a passion.

Just food for thought

radiators.com had a dual-core turbo rad. for mine for ~$150 shipped. Yours is probably a single core. (mine was, and it is turbo) the one they sent was for AT or 5spd. you just plug the tubes for the tranny cooler to prevent stuff from getting in there.(coolant doesnt flow through these tubes) It is twice as thick as the stock one and it was a direct replacement for me...but like previously stated, do a check and make sure you know the problem before you spend the $$$:)

ET:

I tend to go overboard when I get into servicing the cooling system. However, if there is one area where the extra $$ is well-spent, this is definitely it - especially with a turbo vehicle.

I recently overhauled the entire cooling system in my latest project; an 89 GL AWD Turbo wagon (aka Alleywagon '04). I'm talking everything from hoses to a T-stat and cap, to a new H20 pump and 2-row rad. There are no doubts whatsoever, and that's a GREAT feeling!! The guage never moves past the 1/4 mark, and I doubt that it will for a long time.

The problem with the cooling system is that there are so many weak links. The good news is that it's also a relatively simple system, and you can easily prevent a meltdown by keeping those links strong.

You should think of a new rad (if it needs one) as the starting point, not the magical cure all. Think of the cooling system as a whole, and you'll have the peace of mind you're looking for.

Good luck, John