Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Impreza OBS Timing Belt?

Just wanted to confirm my thoughts before I order parts. I picked up a 99 OBS with the 2.2 motor.

I believe this will have the new style TB Tensioner on it, but I will be able to change the tensioner and backing block to the old style tensioner and then use the 95-98 Timing belt Kit.

Sound right?

I'm out of town so I can not open it up to check.

Thanks Larry

NO! The SOHC EJ222 (that's right - three 2's) will not work with the older belt. The cam sprockets are farther away from the crank and it requires a different belt. You MUST buy a kit for a '99 to '01 EJ22. I beleive it's basically the same kit as the 251/253 though.....

I beleive you can use the older tensioner if you swap the bracket..... but you will have to mix/match a kit to make that work.

GD

I called the Import Experts today, the PCI Kits off Ebay that I have been very happy with.

They were good enough to give me the old Style tensioner with the correct belt. $108+shipping for the belt and all the idlers and tensioner pulley.