Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coping with a Subaru Addict

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have this car. Its an 83 Turbowagon. I have NEVER driven it. I bought it just after WCSS3 from Qman. When I bought it the engine was toasted and the transmission was not looking good from the dipstick, governor gear, etc. Assumed to be toasted as well.

I have towed it:

From Qmans house to Greenville, Iowa utilizing a Uhaul truck and my 90 Legacy to flat tow it. That'd be 1657 miles.

Then from there to Iowa City. Another 250 miles.

Then back to Greenville. Another 250.

Then to Denver. 693 miles.

Add another 10 miles within Denver by towtruck.

2860 miles of TOWING and yes, again I must restate...never driven the car.

I have added or changed on the car:

AT to Manual trans with pedal swap

Ign switch replaced

disc brake conversion

BYB lift kit 3"

Removed BYB and added a new 4" lift to the car with a full frame.

RX trans install

Power window conversion 1/3 done

CCR Rebuilt engine installed

Custom axles installed

Custom axles removed

Rx trans removed to replace stub axles with std ones and rebuilt trans

LSD rear diff installed

1 pc lengthened driveshaft installed

Jerry's 5 speed kit installed, might need rework now that I have 4" lift. :(

pugs

Master cyl replaced, finding it isnt working now.

94 Toyota Celica seats going in soon

Someday I might hear the engine that CCR rebuilt for me run.

Hi, Im shawnw and I am a Subaru addict with the only car I know that has had 2 different lift kits on it and still hasnt seen the road. I am an addict.

My wife can't complain too much, because "my" Loyale was originally her dad's and she got it when she needed a car away at college. He had two or three other Subarus before the Loyale and now drives an Outback. My wife is actually better at spotting Subes than I am. But I'm the one who always wants to buy them!

I have always been a fan of cars. Never really Subies until I met Andrew (THANKS!!!) The honest to God truth - My brother borrowed Andrew's car from Russell one day, and I fell in love with the car before I even KNEW Andrew. So it was fate! :D Now, we fight to see who can see the Subies first, whoever yells parts usually is the winner. Me, I usually say SUBIE!!!!

Whoever was talking about giving your woman her first car. Andrew did it, and I have driven it like twice... But I won't get rid of it. It's the same year I was born, and it's the best little car around! :D:banana:

OMG I am a subaru addict's mom! Actually I have seen the above mentioned subaru in my rearview mirror for 943 of those miles, and hopefully one of these days I will see it drive on it's on power into my driveway. Now my subaru addict (alias Shawn) has converted me to driving a subaru and trying to find parts to repair my other subaru (anybody got a spare front end lying around for a 98 outback limited, in green of course if possible) :D

OMG I am a subaru addict's mom! Actually I have seen the above mentioned subaru in my rearview mirror for 943 of those miles, and hopefully one of these days I will see it drive on it's on power into my driveway. Now my subaru addict (alias Shawn) has converted me to driving a subaru and trying to find parts to repair my other subaru (anybody got a spare front end lying around for a 98 outback limited, in green of course if possible) :D

:lol: I'd like to see that too :grin:

• 2 months later...

wow mick how does she doit put in up with u my wife sez ive turned into subie phene an shes getin worried lol i said to her blame ur dad he started it .. sleepin on the com hahaha workin in the carport till 3:00am understandable hehehe spotin subies thats good too 6yrold takin after dad priceless:lol:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The subie gets under the skin, that's for sure. I recently bought an '83 Gl Wagon for $100 as my first Subaru and after surfing here for a week or so strange things are starting to happen.....

In the shower this morning thinking about the EA81 my brain came up with the scheme of Ebaying up a pair of cheap stock 90-96 ZX twin turbos and have 'em feed a 500 cfm Barry Grant blow-thru carb with sealed throttle shaft bushings and a suitable camshaft.....what's a little custom manifold work anyway....no big deal...:slobber:

That's when I realized just what these Subarus can do to ya....:lol:

I did get some new NGK spark plugs today while out in the real world. So many more things to go...

yeah, these cars are definatly addictive. i started with my 2000 impreza and then got the 86 rx. i go the rx for free and have spent between $3000 and $4000 on getting it on the road and then upgrading everything so far. looking at spending a lot more on it once i get over my cancer.

Tommy needs asked this question ..I keep asking him why he hasnt ran away screaming yet ( my fiance is NOT the car person) yet he stays around...and normally doesnt complain too much...

And subyrally...you need to update us on whats going on with you...you promised at carlisle:grin: :-p I hope you didnt think we forgot now did you?

i just had chemo on tuesday, i feel rather well concidering. but i think i should have listened to the docs about not eating heavy or greasy food.

:dead:

Tommy needs asked this question ..I keep asking him why he hasnt ran away screaming yet ( my fiance is NOT the car person) yet he stays around...and normally doesnt complain too much...

And subyrally...you need to update us on whats going on with you...you promised at carlisle:grin: :-p I hope you didnt think we forgot now did you?

• 10 months later...

Love the post and can relate but my problem prior to my Soob is BMW motorcycles. I have boxes of parts coming all the time. My "dog" knows the sound of the UPS truck when it gets within a block of the house. I'm forwarned and sometimes can get the parts hidden before the wife gets home! She just shakes her head anymore.:dead:

• 1 year later...