Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant Mess in Airbox

'87 Subaru GL Wagon - 4WD - Auto - Hitachi Carb

Didn't have to dig as deep as I thought to find the newest problem... went to pull the air cleaner and timing belts to check out the oil pump... I was presented with a mess of coolant / milkshake in the intake.

th_e566fc14.jpg th_06727596.jpg th_3968aef4.jpg

I'm going to pick up some felpro intake gaskets today only because they are in stock. (I'll switch to OEM ones later)

Wondering how the Felpro's are? and whether I should coat them with anytype of permatex or anything since they probably won't be a durable as the oem's?

Other than a thorough cleaning, and an oil change... anything else I should do or run through the engine (assuming its not wrecked) a bit to up clean everything out?

I'll clean the carb as good as I can. I'm hoping I didn't break the engine. It sounds terrible, but I only drove it less than a 1/4 mile to get it home and the engine never did overheat or anything... it still idles fine now too.

Thanks Miles...

I just picked up my felpro gaskets, they are graphite colored but just paper as I feared. The parts guy was knowledgeable and a Datsun mechanic from back in the day. He watched the video with the noise it was making and said it sounds like I spun a bearing :/ this sucks apparently that means the engine is toast unless I decided to rebuild it

Gasket felpro PN MS22764

ed771f95.jpg

Hey guys, about 28 connections, an alternator, and an AC compressor later my intake is off! What a mess and conundrum of rubber hoses..

I don't like the condition of the gaskets, but I'm wondering what my best way is to try an identify the problem, primarily if the engine is toast.

I drained the oil and did not see any signs of metal.

Intake out:

dec8e9f6.jpg

Passenger side (dry):

271f252a.jpg

Driver side: coolant

291a4935.jpg

Any help would be really appreciated