Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O2 sensor brand - same as OEM?

Do you guys know which brand and model of front and rear O2 sensor is the same as the Subaru sensors from the dealer? any pictures with stamped logos/numbers or anyone want to check?

I've searched a ton for this info, but all I can find is people doing the usual talk of "just get it at the dealer". I'm interested in saving money, here.

This is for my 1998 Legacy Outback.

edit:

I did find this link to bolster discussion: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717532

Edited by kanurys

Usually it's Bosch.

I believe so as well. I've got a drawer full of them and they all didn't come from VW's. Bosch seems to make a lot of the O2 sensors used by everyone.

Do some reading here. I believe OEM is recommended for the front but generic is o.k. for the rear. If I don't have one I always buy mine at the dealer anyways. Too expensive for me to try something that may not work and I may have to turn around and buy the same(OEM) part again. Too bad there isn't a way to fix the "preheat" or the wire that cuases that code on these - that usually is why I have to replace them.

there has been a lengthy discussion on this site debating the differences between the oem part and the same part manufactured by the same company.

my take away from all of this is prety simple...... any part other than the oem subaru part may fix the problem. but if it does not... then you have to buy two parts and install two parts. where is the savings in that.

many of us here on this site have found that the timing belt kits sold by ''theimportexperts'' on ebay have good quality parts for a good price. we use them and we recommend them. and we save money doing it.

but when you read here, buy oem front o2 sensors, we have put the same discernment and experience into that conclusion.

you should take our advice. it did not come with out a lot of trial and error.

Thanks guys. I was on the fence, but no more. I'll put the front O2 sensor on my OEM order list. I think both of you gave the most definitive answer I've read on the subject and even included pro-arguments. :)

Not on my OEM list: Pedders HD lift springs and GR2's. (already in the mail)

I've installed theimportexpers timing kits on my other scoobs with good results, too.

I'm glad that you are happy with your O2 sensor decision, kanurys. Personally, I have yet to hear any definitive proof that the front sensor "must be OEM." For that matter I've yet to hear anyone define just what a Subaru OEM sensor is!

The way it makes sense to me is this: Running an after-market purchased sensor is a crap shoot. It could work fine or it could be the wrong range, etc, for the computer. If you want to be sure of compatibility and trouble free replacement, get the OEM sensor. There goes my scotch money. :)

As far as oxygen sensors, I think all the Subaru applications have heaters built into the oxygen sensor itself. As for generic replacements I know not all brands are equally as good. There are 1-wire, 2-wire and 4-wire generics. I believe only the 2-wire and 4-wire ones have heaters in them.

I put a non-Bosch O2 sensor in someone's VW and that worked ok, but it was post-cat and they don't do much in the overall scheme of things.

But for the Suby and a BMW i have i have only used Bosch O2 sensors and one was a model I had to use the splice and it too worked fine. I would say buy Bosch since it is a pretty neglible price difference from a truly generic.

Running an after-market purchased sensor is a crap shoot.

I understand where you're coming from and generally agree. I strongly believe in OEM parts--wouldn't risk anything else for engine seals, gaskets, plug wires and many other parts.

But when it comes to items with a big price differential (TB idlers and O2 sensors come to mind) that's when I start to question and do research.

When I'm reasonably satisfied with quality and price I might chance it. Still a bit of crapshoot maybe but I try to make sure my odds are okay!

Its $102.44 for OEM front sensor

Paid less than half that for a Bosch Universal two years ago, put it on my son's '92 Legacy and the car has run beautifully ever since. And that includes a one week 3500-mile jaunt through the PNW to Colorado and back.

So, until someone can (1) define just what constitutes an "OEM" O2 sensor and (2) present proof that the "OEM" performs better than a quality aftermarket, I will remain skeptical.

Hearsay and repetitious mantra don't cut it for me.

As you stated at the beginning of this thread, "I'm interested in saving money, here." Well, me too Brother!

Good luck. :)

I just ordered a downstream Denso sensor from Amazon for $54 + 3 shipping. Going OEM for upstream, as listed above. Also got an new OEM knock sensor off of ebay for $42 shipped.

Those are some of the better prices I could find.

Jsut replaced my O2 sensor on a 2000 2.5, with a Bosch, direct replamement. Everything looks exactly like the one I pulled out. Except that it was not rattling and full of carbon crud. Seems to run fine.

Cost me 60 bucks from my local Napa.

How does it run? Any improvement in MPG or CEL? The front one is the only one I haven't bought yet.

my local Napa sells it for the same as Subaru online - aobut $100. I found this one on amazon for quite a bit less: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-13702-Oxygen-Sensor-Fitment/dp/B000BZEILQ

Edited by kanurys

How does it run? Any improvement in MPG or CEL? The front one is the only one I haven't bought yet.

my local Napa sells it for the same as Subaru online - aobut $100. I found this one on amazon for quite a bit less: http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-13702-Oxygen-Sensor-Fitment/dp/B000BZEILQ

the bosch in that link says it is the upstream sensor for the outback. what car are you putting it on. the 95 has both the same i think. but 97 has a difference between front and rear.

the bosch in that link says it is the upstream sensor for the outback. what car are you putting it on. the 95 has both the same i think. but 97 has a difference between front and rear.

I assume you're asking me to identify what car I have. The answer is stated clearly in the first post. Yes, I thought I'd post the link to a cheap front Bosch O2 sensor since we're discussing O2 sensors here and that seems to be the more important one. What can you contribute?

I assume you're asking me to identify what car I have. The answer is stated clearly in the first post. Yes, I thought I'd post the link to a cheap front Bosch O2 sensor since we're discussing O2 sensors here and that seems to be the more important one. What can you contribute?

sorry, i thought you said that was the one you ordered for the rear sensor. my mistake.

and i'm so old a can't remember what i read this morning, much less what i read 15 posts ago.

again, my mistake.

What can you contribute?

see post #4 above.

Edited by johnceggleston

sorry, i thought you said that was the one you ordered for the rear sensor. my mistake.

and i'm so old a can't remember what i read this morning, much less what i read 15 posts ago.

again, my mistake.

Nice catch. I didn't mean to come off harshly. We usually get some kids who don't read the post and just comment without any content. This site is great because many of us post valid information with little flaming compared to other forums.

The O2 sensors in discussion are both the upstream and downstream of the 96-99 outbacks, but in my case I'm concerned with the 98 legacy outback.

Edited by kanurys

• 1 month later...

Here's my follow-up post. I replaced the sensors with the correct part, but I purchased bosch direct fit sensors on amazon (the cheapest I could find) for about $40 each instead of over $100 each from Subaru. Here's what the info reads on the side of the OLD sensors for my 1998 Legacy Outback:

Upstream sensor: Bosch 13702 http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=0+258+003+702#sclient=psy&hl=en&tbm=shop&source=hp&q=13702+bosch&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=f9f6494e40f8c42f&biw=1201&bih=702

LSH 24

BOSCH 861 16 00

0 258 003 702 12V

Downstream sensor: Bosch 13445 http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=0+258+003+702#sclient=psy&hl=en&tbm=shop&source=hp&q=13445+bosch&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=f9f6494e40f8c42f&biw=1201&bih=702

LSH 24

BOSCH 861 07 20

0 258 003 445 12V

CEL went away and it's getting better mpg. It was much easier to remove them with the correct O2 sensor socket, $10 at the cheapo parts store. I found the crow's foot type to work better than the deep socket type because of the tight quarters down there. (insert that's-what-she-said comment here)

Edited by kanurys

http://www.boschautoparts.com/VehiclePartFinder/Pages/VehiclePartFinder.aspx

15730 Oxygen Sensor - OE SmartLink - Universal Fit - Downstream Sensor 4 Wire; Heated; Check / Replace Interval: 100,000 Miles H4-2458cc 2.5L FI EngDesg EJ253 GAS

15170 Oxygen Sensor - OE Type - Exact Fit - Downstream Sensor 4 Wire; Heated; Check / Replace Interval: 100,000 Miles H4-2458cc 2.5L FI EngDesg EJ253 GAS

15169 Wideband A/F Sensor - OE Type - Exact Fit - Upstream Sensor 4 Wire; Wideband A/F; Check / Replace Interval: 100,000 Miles H4-2458cc 2.5L FI EngDesg EJ253 GAS

I believe so as well. I've got a drawer full of them and they all didn't come from VW's. Bosch seems to make a lot of the O2 sensors used by everyone.

Do some reading here. I believe OEM is recommended for the front but generic is o.k. for the rear. If I don't have one I always buy mine at the dealer anyways. Too expensive for me to try something that may not work and I may have to turn around and buy the same(OEM) part again. Too bad there isn't a way to fix the "preheat" or the wire that cuases that code on these - that usually is why I have to replace them.

Yes what he said. dealr parts last XXXXXX miles, and i think that for some things they are worth every penny to get the same mileage out of.