Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who's that dis'n the Justy?!

I was just floating through a few posts here bouts and read that some folks think the justy is an inferior subaru.

I take issue with that statement.

The justy is a fine little beast.

Growth hormones at an earlier point in it's developement would have helped sure, but the runt isn't bad because it's small.

The genes aren't all the best, but it isn't a chevette!

Who would have thought of putting a lovely 3 cylinder in front of a magnetic tourque converter and a snowmobile tranny besides subaru?

What it lacks in size it makes up for in small.

They always win rollover contests because they don't even break the glass, and 2 people can pick it up or push it over.

The justy is like that blonde headed cousin on the brady bunch. No idea where he came from, but there's no sense in kicking him out just cause he's goofy lookin'!

Naw, I'll keep on playing with my justy. I think of it as my kinder, gentler subaru.

and when I'm done with it, it'll kick the rump roast of any subaru silly enough to call it out...

And it won't hold a grudge at all of the talk here, cause it's the nice car in the family.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are all glad you like your justy.. but as a stock car, its best described as well.. inferior.. just my opinion though.. some growth hormones.. maybe an extra cylinder.. an auto tranny that worked.. those things would have helped.. it was a very useful experiment.. it must have been somewhat successful, since they are still making them in japan.. but when compared to the rest of the US subaru lineup, they do fall a bit short.. there are a few individual exceptions to this ( aren't there always?).. but as a group.. welll....

Don't take this personally.. just ribbin ya :D

when I first was driving my friends had a justy that got beat by us rather bad. it was fun.

Im not sure where I stand with the justy issue.

when I was rallyXing the first time there was a moded little justy there running with us. my only goal of the day was to beat the justy (this was using the RX). I guess mainly beause he was so sure he was going to spank everyone else in open 4wd:lol:

the time keepers caught on to this and let me know how far ahead of the justy I was after each run. needless to say he was at the tail of the line up by the end of the day. I think he took the justy too serious. he should have justy gone out for a good time:D

i don't think the justy is inferior at all. It's Just a different kind of car. Of course if you place it next to a Lexus it's gonna look bad. But it did alright the last time my friend took his RallyXing, he took second in production class. Thats not too bad for someones first time now is it?

Originally posted by baccaruda

maybe it's best to say that all older subarus are underpowered, and the justy is MORE underpowered than the rest?

who cares what you drive.. many people invest too much of their self-image in their car anyway. have fun!

Um Bad new for ya. The justy wasn't under powered. The car was just as fast as a standard GL. Yes it had less Horse power, but it also had a lot less weight. I owned one for a while and loved it. I even let friends borrow it and they just couldn't believe how quick it was and how fun it was to drive. The seats were comfortable and there was plenty of leg room. Justy was a great replacement for the hatchback in the Fuel conscious economy of the time. I used to get 32mpg in my justy and I had the carbed model. The Fuel Injected models had more power and got better gas milage. The justy is a great car.

Keith

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

well me old 89' gl ea81 hatch gets 32 mpg even when cruising 75mph+.. and thats with 203k on the ticker.. a justy won't do that, lol...

What makes you think that? My justy got 32mpg on a 45 mile commute with most of the miles being stop and go and only about 15 being real highway cruising. I think the time I took it to Vermont it got around 37. My justy also had about 130k on the clock. Oh, and it had no trouble going 75mph. Unless you've owned one or driven one for more than a day, you don't know anything. I've owned them all but an XT and the justy was just as good a good car as any.

Keith

So a justy with .5l less, weighing 500+lbs lighter with mpfi is not going to outperform a hatch in gas mileage. Thats exactly what justys are designed to do. I would assume you made an error in your calculations before I believe that you beat a justys gas mileage.

you do the math, i can drive from home, to Baltimore washington international airport and back on 8 gallons of gas... thats 306 miles total.. and through DC everyone knows to keep up with traffic you drive 75-90.. done it twice now..

a justy's 3cyl is not as efficient as a well tuned 4cyl when doing 75-90 mph.. heck i don't think a justy can go 90 mph, lol.. the 12" donuts would fly off it.. :eek:

anyways, not tryin to start a flame war just sayin that my old hatch can do just as good if not better than a justy..

Guest taprackready

This thread has turned stupid. I just purchased a 94 justy a month ago and it consistantly gets 45 miles per gallon with combined town and highway driving. And yes it will go 90 miles per hour. It will probably give a stock EA81 and perhaps and EA82 a run for its money.

Bill

Guys, Justy's aren't Subarus... They are rebadged Suzukis, Swifts, Geos, all in the same family, all three cyl engines. the Justy just threw 4wd into the mix, nothing else. But I still think they're hella cool! Might get one if I can find one in good condition!

Originally posted by taprackready

This thread has turned stupid. I just purchased a 94 justy a month ago and it consistantly gets 45 miles per gallon with combined town and highway driving. And yes it will go 90 miles per hour. It will probably give a stock EA81 and perhaps and EA82 a run for its money.

Bill

ok, so your justy will spank my ea81 in gas mileage.. but i highly doubt it'd give my RX a run for its money, lol

and if me little hatch can take a neon srt for 200 yards i know it'll take a justy, lol.. one thing that it has that justy's don't is 4 low.. that makes for launching like nothing you ever saw.. the lifted hatch will pull the front wheels about 4" off the ground if you launch it hard..

i need to write 73hp on the side of my hatch so the ricers know whats spanking them light to light, haha :lol:

and yeah they aren't true subaru's, on top of it..

Originally posted by taprackready

Bill

To me, these ea81s are only for offroad. To race one on the street is and looks rediculous. Any damn car out there can beat my hatch in a straight line. Who cares?

Try and follow me thru Evans Creek or Reiters Pit in a justy. . . Don't think any rump roast kicking would be happening there.

The hatch in the photo was stock except for the wheels/tires. The photo was taken on the way back down those rocks. Good luck getting a justy in to even give that rock a try. huh uh.

Originally posted by Do It Sidewayz

back then. there was NO relation between a Suzuki/Geo whatever and a Justy. None at all. It is a COMPLETELY different design.

i got one that might make some friends...

From the outside

[/img] controller.php?id=554.jpg

From the inside

controller.php?id=11103.JPG

i dig that one.. I'm not a justy fan, but thats pretty cool

Guest taprackready
Originally posted by Meeky Moose

oki need to write 73hp on the side of my hatch so the ricers know whats spanking them light to light, haha :lol:

and yeah they aren't true subaru's, on top of it..

Do you know what the stock HP of a Justy is? Why do you say they are not true Subaru's. Back up what you say.

Bill

hey i realize that justy's aren't the prize posesion of many poeple, yet i would be proud to own that car over the other cars that you could have. The justy is by far not the worst car that you could have, i think it does deserve a lil bit more respect than it gets. At least you arent all driving around in a subaru 360 (set aside the fact that its a collectors car and all) and those cars have a 2 cylinder motor cycle engine, and their rollin on 10 inch rims! so be thank full for your justy's!

hey watch the 360 comments.. someone here on the board is going to put a hyabusa engine in one.. that should sure as hell spank any other 80's soob, lol

Justy specs :

Engine and Transmission Data

Available Engines:

1200cc Carbureted OHV Inline-3 (EF-12)

Available Transmissions:

5-speed Manual FWD

5-speed Manual Pushbutton Single-Range 4WD

Engine Specifications: EF-12

Displacement: 1189cc/72.5 cu in.

Aspiration: Carburetor

Compression Ratio: 9.1:1

Horsepower: 66 at 5200 RPM