Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who's that dis'n the Justy?!

and just for giggles.. this is what a justy could not even get close to givin a run for its money

85' RX sedan

Engine and Transmission Data

Available Engines:

1800cc Turbocharged SOHC (EA-82T)

Available Transmissions:

5-speed Manual Dual-Range 4WD

Engine Specifications: EA-82T

Displacement: 1781cc/109 cu in.

Aspiration: Multi-Point Fuel Injection and Turbocharger

Compression Ratio: 7.7:1

Horsepower: 111 at 4800 RPM

Torque: 134 at 2800 RPM

Spark Plug Type: BPR6ES-11

Plug Gap: .039 - .043 inches

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest taprackready
Originally posted by Meeky Moose

my 89' ea81 hatchback specs :

Engine Specifications: EA-81

Displacement: 1781cc/109 cu in.

Aspiration: 2-bbl Carburetor

Compression Ratio: 8.7:1

Horsepower: 73 at 4800 RPM

Torque: 94 at 2400 RPM

90-94 just specs are:

Horse Power: 73@5400

Torque: 73@3600

So that is why in a pure bench racing comparison you will not blow away Justys as you say. Same horsepower, less weight. And to try and compare a turbocharged vehichle with a non-turbo is moronic.

Bill

i could still take a justy due to the fact i have 4LOW, that cuts my gearing almost in half... a justy does not have this..

that would mean quicker acceleration for me.. not you...

go out and find a ricer in a neon srt and see how fast he spanks your butt.. i can tell you right now my hatch will take a neon srt for a good 200 yards before he catches up.. just because i can accelerate faster until i hit 3rd gear.. then the neons power truely shows..

Come on now! The Justys may not be all that attractive but they are still Subarus all the same. How can a real Subaru lover say such bad things about a fellow Subaru anyway. Are we to believe that you are not a true Subaru fanatic? Don't pick on the runts, they can't help that they are small. If there is any justice in the world you will be run over by a Justy! Ok, I wouldn't want you to get run over by a Justy, but I might laugh.

meeky

um... does your hatch have a turbo? the only dodge neon it will beat off the line is the first one they made. the srt4 will spank wrx, and smoke stangs. so... sorry dude, unless you got a 2.0 under the hood. just speeking from experience, those neons are fast. off the line and up top.

and racing in 4 low isnt the best thing, since you will top out at 50mph.

um... thats a stock neon, not the srt4 turbo. 19lbs of boost

big Fmic. boost limited to 8lbs in first gear to get a good launch. the wrx looses to the srt4. i hate to say it, but dodge just threw alot of good stuff at this big rump roast 4 cylinder

the low numbers you find are high altitude ones. or something like that, the computer limits the boost in different weather, barometric pressure, temp all that stuff. either way, no ea81 would ever see one past 5mph.

I had no idea the justy was a controversial car. Just one more reason to love it. I have loved the posts however. needed a good laugh to end the work week, and begin the work weekend.

The Rally Justy is coming along well. The new subframe is completely in and tied to the roll cage. The lower control arms are completed. I just completed the upper ball joint mounts for the stock hubs, and purchased new shocks for the front suspension. Will have about 10" of travel front and back when I'm done.

It's really only a justy in spirit now. The drive train is from 2 different subarus,the shocks are from a dodge cummins and a ford explorer.

But it is still a justy, just nastier.

I haven't even bothered with the progress page in a month, but I should be getting new pictures up tomorrow.

I have a goal to rallycross it in durango, co in the first part of april. If I do get it done, I need a raise.

Troy

can we get a weight of the hatch and the justy, that way we can do some power to weight comparisons. and power to weight don't lie.

For example, a RC car, 2 hp if that, 5 lbs, thats almost 2:1 lbs/hp that thing will accelerate quicker than snot. its all relative, less weight the less work that it takes to have the same acceleration.

Originally posted by Do It Sidewayz

i think my justy will tear your hatch, or even a Turbo EA82T powered car a new one.

I think i'm making like 110 hp. and it weighs 1600 lbs.

bwhahahahha..

i like your car, dont get me wrong..

but my RX will take breakfast lunch and dinner from you..

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

i could still take a justy due to the fact i have 4LOW, that cuts my gearing almost in half... a justy does not have this..

that would mean quicker acceleration for me.. not you...

go out and find a ricer in a neon srt and see how fast he spanks your butt.. i can tell you right now my hatch will take a neon srt for a good 200 yards before he catches up.. just because i can accelerate faster until i hit 3rd gear.. then the neons power truely shows..

Wow! this is thread is getting ugly! I have owned and wrenched on my 88 justy 4wd gl for the past 4 years. The experience has led my to a few key observations on what this car is all about.

When 4wd was offered on this car in 1988 it was never intended to be a rock crawler, or a mud boggin sippy hole crossing monster! It was designed to handle well, scoot in and out of traffic and get good gas mileage. Mine does all of those things well and it has over 170,000 mi on the original motor.(It may be a runt but, its a tough little runt)

With that said...A couple of little known Justy facts:

1) The 4wd Justy has a 5.2:1 final drive in its little transaxle. It does not need 4W LO for a quick takeoff on the street.

2) The gearing in the transaxle is designed to take advantage of the 3cyl high reving capability (I've spun mine to 6800 on many occasions) The 5 speed is set up so 1st and 2nd gears are reduction gears. 3rd is 1:1 and 4th and 5th are overdrive gears.

My justy pulls well up to 75- 80 MPH on the street and does it very quickly. Many Festivas, Geos, and early unmodified Hondas have seen my tailights in the 1/8 mi and under stoplight drags.

My best top speed.. 102 mph @ 5200 RPM. This aint bad considering that even in 5th gear overdrive my final drive to the wheels is 3.9:1 (It would be faster if I had not gone from 155 to 165 tires..Smaller contact patch = Less rolling resistance)

As to the Subie hatch VS the SRT-4 match up....My job has afforded me some quality seat time behind the wheel of an SRT-4

All I will say is this....If you were beating the SRT-4 for the first 200 yards the driver must have been a 17 year old kid who just learned to drive a manual trans a week before. They must have smoked the skins for at least 500 ft for you to get that big a jump

In closing...I love all Subarus! I am happy that Subaru HAS and CONTINUES to build a large diversity of vehicles that we all can love and enjoy.

Peace to all the subie faithful!

!

I drive EA82T powered XT's, Coupes, and Sedans ALL winter long. They are all race cars...stripped right out, and running 15PSI of boost, open filters, and 2.5 inch turbo-back exhausts with no muffler. Yes..they are quick...

BUT!!...

you are on crack...

As viehmann just stated...the gearing in the justy is ridiculusly short...redline in 3rd gear is like 110 kph..

Power to weight is everything man...

you might have 50 hp more...but also weigh more than 1000 lbs more.

Those numbers are for the SRT-4, got em from car and driver. Hate to say it, but even with a turbo and 245hp, its still a FWD NEON. Now the 2004 ones come standard with LSDs, but all you have to do is turn up the boost a hair and the NEON is toast again!!! Which camp are you rooting for man?

Originally posted by Do It Sidewayz

I drive EA82T powered XT's, Coupes, and Sedans ALL winter long. They are all race cars...stripped right out, and running 15PSI of boost, open filters, and 2.5 inch turbo-back exhausts with no muffler. Yes..they are quick...

take your justy to the track, get some 1/4 et;s post some time slips.. when you come back with some numbers let me know..

Leroy has been under the knife so to speak just about every day.

I have done a lot of CAD work to get the bugs worked out before I put any steel together. With the drawings and math all done, I have had to stand next to the car a lot. I walk aroung it and try to figure out how this part will effect how that part goes in. I have had to change the suspension because the starter motor was in the way. Little things like that. Sequence of construction is also important. Kinda funny how today I have to mount the racing seats to confirm some strutural tubing locations for the shock mounts.

By the end of the weekend I think the whole front suspension should be in place, and the engine/tranny combo installed.

Up to now it looks like I haven't done anything and so I haven't taken any pictures. Today I will and try to post them tonight.

The drivetrain is tight and ready to fight. I decided not to turbo charge the EJ18 until I have the running gear all sorted. I have enough room to do it very easily after the fact and know the engine runs well right now. I'll fight the setup battle before I pick a fight with the turbo.

Troy

Originally posted by RallyJusty

The drivetrain is tight and ready to fight. I decided not to turbo charge the EJ18 until I have the running gear all sorted. I have enough room to do it very easily after the fact and know the engine runs well right now. I'll fight the setup battle before I pick a fight with the turbo.

Troy

I can't wait to see the end result. I'm hoping everything comes together well.