Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carb'd Loyale idles high when warmed up?

I helped my buddy buy his (like 87-89) Loyale, it is carb'd with 5-speed manual low range gearbox. Just sat up at a cabin unused mostly for like 25 years originally, low miles, sweet cheap find he picked up.

I still need to help him with 1 issue, I haven't had a chance to look at it again yet. It idles high, like 2,000 rpm, once the engine is warmed up.

any troubleshooting tips for that problem?

I just got my '83 Brat running with a '81 GL wagon carb I pulled from the same junk-yard car my manual trans swap came from, with 138K miles. There were minor differences, but I think I got it all hooked up and working right now.

I'm not familiar with the hitachi carbs, because I did the Holley 5200 swap when I got my GL wagon, but the hitachi's have an idle solenoid IIRC. I'd check that and the choke system. Check for for vacuum leaks and deteriorated vacuum lines that are leaking or unplugged too. Sounds like a sweet find, but if its been sitting for 25 years, its gonna need a little love.

It's been used a bit since cabin years, he got it for $800 and all it needed was a CV-axle and a muffler.

I've noticed the wire on the idle solenoid of the hitachi carb tends to be kinked and want to break off, I've seen the same thing on a few cars now. I mentioned that to him to check. We'll figure it out I'm sure.

however,

I'm just turned on today about the weber 32/36 or holley 5200 carb swaps on the EA81 engine, or even a SPFI conversion from junk-yard car parts!

I see one of these as very possible in my future...

Or even something more custom and wild with a megasquirt 4-injector system, because I want to learn megasquirt for builds on other types of engines, and it allows for great possibilities with boost and all that..

The only fuel injection I recommend to anybody is Megasquirt. Its cheap, repairable, adaptable, %100 customizable, and can be used on one car, reprogrammed(at home) and put on another car. I've seen them on daily drivers to nitrous injected drag cars...not one bad thing to say:grin: