Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 3door: to ER27 or not to ER27?

MilesFox

I am already 5 lugging my 86 3door, and going with the xt6 full time trans. My original plan was to use an ej22, but i already have an er27 engine, 135,000 miles, new HG and seals.

I have any and all parts to swap, including engine crossmember

My car has an in-tact AC. I know i will have to move the rad forward, and i suppose the condensor as well. I would have to use the er27 compressor, if i can adapt the lines. otherwise, if i ditch the AC, i will need some sort of custom belt.

Power steering: I have a 91 turbo legacy rack. maybe I can cram a power steering pump on the er27? I also have the cybrid pump, lines, and rack if that is necessary.

I have the complete xt6 harness. What part(or where) is the cybrid control unit, if there is one.

I will have to make custom shifter plate or boot, or find a different shifter handle or make one.

during my build, i would like to at least drop in the er27 to see what it looks like

getting a belt short to run without the A/C isn't difficult. the better wrap on the pulleys without the compressor, and reduced load makes a 4-rib work just fine. I believe the one I used was for a honda of some sort. I have a thread about it on subaruxt

do it! You'll have to find somewhere to put all that wiring...but other than that it'll be fairly straightforward