Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

86 3door: to ER27 or not to ER27?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,514 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

I am already 5 lugging my 86 3door, and going with the xt6 full time trans. My original plan was to use an ej22, but i already have an er27 engine, 135,000 miles, new HG and seals.

I have any and all parts to swap, including engine crossmember

My car has an in-tact AC. I know i will have to move the rad forward, and i suppose the condensor as well. I would have to use the er27 compressor, if i can adapt the lines. otherwise, if i ditch the AC, i will need some sort of custom belt.

Power steering: I have a 91 turbo legacy rack. maybe I can cram a power steering pump on the er27? I also have the cybrid pump, lines, and rack if that is necessary.

I have the complete xt6 harness. What part(or where) is the cybrid control unit, if there is one.

I will have to make custom shifter plate or boot, or find a different shifter handle or make one.

during my build, i would like to at least drop in the er27 to see what it looks like

#2 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:37 PM

The condenser has no where to go forward, and the radiator needs to move up to there anyway. Just leave the compressor on the motor, unplug the clutch wire and hoses and don't worry about it.

6cyls sound cooler than 4cyls.

#3 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

getting a belt short to run without the A/C isn't difficult. the better wrap on the pulleys without the compressor, and reduced load makes a 4-rib work just fine. I believe the one I used was for a honda of some sort. I have a thread about it on subaruxt

do it! You'll have to find somewhere to put all that wiring...but other than that it'll be fairly straightforward

#4 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:00 AM

Sweet 6 cyl for the win!!! its the new EJ swap lol

Cheers R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users