Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1993 Loyale: Work In Progress

GirlWithALegacy

Haha - I've only been doing the easy stuff. I haven't even attempted to restore the body at all. My dad was going to take the old hood to the dump but I wouldnt let him because that's what I'm going to practice sanding/priming/painting on.

You have a thread for yours yet? If you ever need help give me a holler. I've got a pretty full schedule but hey... I'm up for a few hours of fun. :grin:

----------------

Now playing: Lady Antebellum-Just A Kiss

via FoxyTunes

Thanks.

I'm going to be doing a paint job on the Suby soon. Going the "$50 rustoleum" route. Have you looked into that??

I can't justify spending the money on a cheap paint job so going to go ultra cheap. Plus it'll be practice for my other car which'll be getting the same treatment.

Your right, I will start a thread so others can watch the progress.

Thanks.

I'm going to be doing a paint job on the Suby soon. Going the "$50 rustoleum" route. Have you looked into that??

I can't justify spending the money on a cheap paint job so going to go ultra cheap. Plus it'll be practice for my other car which'll be getting the same treatment.

I have done it. skip all the thinner and penetrol(well, maybe a dab of penetrol) I painted my gmc truck with rustoleum from the quart can, and a sray can of the same color for tight areas. I rolled out in 2 coats and was doen, the fnish is a little textured, but uis glossy. use the 4 or 6 inch foam rollers. only pour enough paint into a tray to use at a time. I f you leave the can open, or pour the whole can n the tray, it will startt to get gummy before you can use it all.

Not that you need this, but just a sawzall and a junkyard car you could cut up a new front end off and have someone weld in a new one.

Thanks.

so i cant take anything for cutting into the local junkyard. but maybe if i find a junker somewhere i could do that. as for painting... im probably going to end up doing what fox said. this is my learner car as well so im not too worried about it.

Yeah I forget the specifics but no power cutting tools or torches for sure. At least not in the one I go to... I'm sure there's others in the area that are less strict though... even still. I don't know how to weld and even if I cared that much about replacing it now.. I don't have the time.

I might eventually try to find a corner to bolt on... but its driveable and thats all I really care about.

It's my DD that I'm not using as a DD yet... I've been driving my dads crappier than crappy gas mileaged GMC truck. It's got a lot of get up and go, and frankly its REALLY fun to drive.. esp being a girl :rolleyes: but I just cant afford the gas.

Great job so far. I went the cheap rattle can route on my car. Flat black it kinda hard to get right. But I used the cheap stuff as a base coat and used the more expensive Krylon to finish her off. 25-30 cans I think, I was pretty messed up after I was done cause I did the painting in my parents garage with some ventilation. All those cheap masks do is keep you from getting black boogers.

One whole day of sanding with my wife. Then cleaning with glass cleaner and then painting.

I never took any before and I need to find the during pics but I have plenty of after pics. I am a firm believer in prep. The better the surface is prepped the better the finished product is going to be.

As for changing the doors I found doing my rear doors and my back hatch by myself switching them off of a 90' loyale. But I guess if you can't hold the door up with one hand and put the bolt in with the other you might not be able to find it as easy as I did.:grin:

As forthe electrical let me know if you need any help. I know Alaska is pretty far away but I can explain most anything involving 12 volt.:banana:

They wont let you take a saqzal in the junkyard. That sucks

I was at a junk yard in Casa Grande, AZ, looking for parts for my '56 Imperial back in February. They only have classic cars, a lot of rare ones, and they don't allow you to touch ANYTHING. You find what you're looking for and come back to the office and a hired hand comes and removes everything for you, even the most basic stuff.

Yeah when I lived in Montana there was one like that.. if they wanna pay more staff to do what I could do for free then whatever... as long as their staff doesn't try to tell me something about MY car that's not true.

Anyhow... finally got tires mount/balanced and insurance on my car today!!! :banana:

Kinda hard to see the tires.... :grin:

0524111458.jpg

Took her out and broke her in.

0524111459.jpg

Noticed some things on the first run that need fixing... my passenger door is messed up.... half the time the dome light is on because the sensor that says it's open is being triggered... gonna have to do some reading on that. Also my cruise doesn't work.. :mad: 3rd car it hasn't worked on... lol.

Had to drive home lookin thru a nasty window cuz I forgot the reservoir for washer fluid is broken.

And it kinda feels like my seat is off kilter, like i'm leaning farther back on my right side.

I'm sure I'll notice more things as time goes on... I'm just happy to have my car going again. :D

Oh and I don't remember if I mentioned it but the other day the auto locks stopped working all the sudden and I can't get them to work now... gonna have to look into that too...

----------------

Now playing: The Truth- Jason Aldean

via FoxyTunes

Me too! Oh yeah and my hood doesn't latch all the way... I mean it latches... but not to the point that I have to pull the hood release.... not sure why yet... :confused:

is the little metal brace that runs vertically behind the latch there? or is the latch chunk bent?

"explains why my pants have been damp....erggggg :mad: and its gonna rain all day... :/"

If you use ductape the same color as the car, on the outside, it will seal it up for a while. If you do a good job, it won't come off for longer. Till you can get it fixed, or dig into it. And it can be even hard to spot from a distance.

Doug