Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1993 Loyale: Work In Progress

GirlWithALegacy

I forget the brand but I sealed up everything around the window... it was a black silicone like goop from a tube... anyhow... I made sure to get every single crevice around the window... as I went out to my car at lunch today I sat down and it was freaking soaked again...... so IDK where to even begin now because it's leaking from the same spot still and I can't figure out where the water is coming from... maybe I'll just ductape a tarp to the top of my car... :lol: any ideas?

I forget the brand but I sealed up everything around the window... it was a black silicone like goop from a tube... anyhow... I made sure to get every single crevice around the window... as I went out to my car at lunch today I sat down and it was freaking soaked again...... so IDK where to even begin now because it's leaking from the same spot still and I can't figure out where the water is coming from... maybe I'll just ductape a tarp to the top of my car... :lol: any ideas?

It might turn out like a vinyl top. Pull it in all the windows, and roll them up from inside. Ductape holding it to the windshield. Might want to run some rope or something here and there.:)

Did you get the driver's window back on track? If that glass isn't up against the weather strip it can leak on the seat.

I've seen a Subaru windshield seperate from the adhesive. I've seen rust under the plastic trim and holes too.

I just noticed that MilesFox has "Conqueror of RUST" on his avatar. Rust never sleeps.

I'd have to take a pic of the duct tape thing. Stick to the windshield and the paint above the plastic trim, consequently covering the whole strip of trim. Side to side. Black tape across the top looks like part of that black at the top of the windshield.

Pull the trim off and look. Or wash the car with lots of soap, turn on the fan in the car and you may see bubbles on the outside around the trim...

Or. More silicone, or something.

Doug

I agree with that, keep an eye on rust foruming along the A-Pillar and windshield seat, As over time, the rust could put enough stress on the window and cause it to crack.

What you can do if you have rust starting there is, pull the the plastic/rubber trim around the windshield off (Its only for looks and is not a seal) check for rust, attack it, then use some clear RTV to reattach the trim, as I have done thing during my restoration.

If your windshield is leaking, you will need an auto glass company to come out, pull the window and lay a new gasket (polyurathyne compound) as when you applied the Black RTV, you only were sealing up the trim, right? You need to pull the trim and apply the RTV in the groove, it might help. But if the seat seal is leaking, theres not much that can be done (At least the right way)

Edited by TheLoyale

I agree with that, keep an eye on rust foruming along the A-Pillar and windshield seat, As over time, the rust could put enough stress on the window and cause it to crack.

If your windshield is leaking, you will need an auto glass company to come out, pull the window and lay a new gasket (polyurathyne compound) as when you applied the Black RTV, you only were sealing up the trim, right? You need to pull the trim and apply the RTV in the groove, it might help. But if the seat seal is leaking, theres not much that can be done (At least the right way)

My windshield was SATH a long time ago :lol: and as for the black RTV... it was not the trim, it was the groove I was filling in. It's just dripping at the top of the windshield stright down onto the st.wheel and seat. I'm wondering if maybe it's getting in around the top of the door and maybe somehow inside the roof, draining? IDK the anatomy of my car very well... lol Thankfully it's been pretty dry this week.... Maybe, Quid - let me know when you get a pic of the ducctape thing? I'd like to see it before I attempt it... :rolleyes:

You frameless door window seals could be letting water past allowing it to run in.

The roof can't really leak unless you drilled a hole in it or if the roof support/stiffener screws are leaking (The strips on the roof outside)

I mean, if you pull all the front window trim off and RTV the entire crease, that should take care of your leak (Make sure you don't have any pin holes in the Silicone after you apply it)

Best advice I can give you.

• 2 weeks later...

Still havent done anything about the leaking issue... a lack of money has me at a standstill for repairs... but as I came around a corner and slammed on my brakes due to the sight of 3 deer in the road I discovered something I didn't like very much... My horn doesnt work. :mad: and the fuse is fine. So Idk - I'll have to check my Haynes and read up on here maybe. Just kind of irritating. lol. But besides that my baby handled like a CHAMP out on the mountain roads! :banana:

Check the ground wires on the horn, that or the insides of the horn are rusted together (Mine were)

The Horn is a ground circuit, so when the metal insde the steering wheel touch (It completes it, sounding the horn)\

Time for 118dB Hella Supertones!!

Im putting a train horn where my spare tire should be in my car :)

People will move :D

I knew a guy that got his hands on a real train horn and installed it and the compressor in his old chevy pickup. People just about ************ themselves when he hit the horn!