Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 Subaru GL

Hey! He's to the site found a 82 Subaru GL for$ 50.00. Been sitting for 4 years. Tips before impulse buying. Missing starter, and battery. Owner states starter went bad along with battery but was running. All other parts intact, 129k not sure if the odometer is broken. EA- 81 engine.

Is the starter gear reduction or direct drive?

Where to find a turn signal, its broke. Left side.

Jared

Owned nothing but Subaru.

92 Legacy 210k

96 Impreza 190k

05 Outback ( Current) 155k / New Head Gaskets!!!!!

I might have a starter floating around from when I did my 5sp swap.

Didn't chuck the 4sp starter as far as I know and it was good and strong when

I dropped in the new transmission.

Oh, and welcome to the board!

I'm over in North ID; biggest city near me is Coeur d'Alene.

About 3 hours from you.

Enjoy your stay and glad we have another loyal Suby owner :)

Twitch

Curtis,

I'm in Tri-Cities, WA. Richland to be exact. I'm looking for the left side turn signal assembly. Been a pain to track down, not sure why?

Also looking for a side mirror right side. As far as the other components they all seem to be intact.

I went back this evening and popped the hood. I was trying to locate the carburetor. Not having to much experience with carburetors on a Subaru my guess is it's buried under the air filter / assembly which was a light blue color.

I would love to see a picture of the EA-81 engine components pointing to some of the main components just so I could familiarize myself with the components.

I checked the dip stick, and I couldn't really tell if there was oil on it or not. I'm not sure if this is a bad sign? I was wondering if it was just very low for sitting over the years and is just not reading on the stick?

I was worried with no fluid it could of dried up the rings? I was going to check the master break cylinder to see there was still fluid in it but I could really located, ( I didn't look to long) RAINING.

Just not sure if the starter is bad, probably should test it? The owner want's $50.00 for the whole things. The question is it a gear reduction starter, or a direct drive.

How do you know if a GL is a 1.6, or a 1.8?

Trying to get this thread going from some enthusiasts to see what they would check for before just buying a scrap of metal. The unit is complete with no major body damage or rust. The dash is cracked but I can understand we get temperatures of over 100 degrees in the Summer.

I think I was will stew on it for a few more days. I'm not sure what has me thinking so much about a 1982 Subaru??

Funny thing those Subaru's do!!

For $50, just buy it.

If it turns out to be junk, and not worth to you to fix, send it onto someone

else or junk it for $100-300.

Either way its not a bad deal.

It should have the EA81 1.8L engine (One of the best Subaru engines EVER) and

either a 4 speed dual range 4WD manual, 3 speed single 4WD range auto, 5

speed FWD manual or a 3 speed auto FWD.

Dashes crack just from sunlight.

EA81 Subarus are infamous for that.

Master brake cylinder is located on the firewall by the driver's side strut tower.

If you're not sure about the oil, take some cheap oil (cheapest you can get)

and pour it into the oil fill spout until it starts reading on the dipstick.

Pour it in at 1/2 quart increments.

If it takes more than 2 quarts, chances are the engine sat without enough oil

to cover the important parts and may have surface rust internally.

Engine is iffy at that point.

You are correct, the carb resides below the air filter.

It is easily looked at through the center of the aircleaner.

You can do a quick job of cleaning it by shooting carb cleaner down into it.

Since the car has sat for so long, I highly recommend going with

Flowmaster87GL's recommendation, and after that pouring half a can of

seafoam in the gas tank to clean the lines.

If you get this car, there will be lots of help waiting for you over in the Old

Gen section.

Just don't forget to search before asking too many beginner questions ;)

Twitch

Dude for 50 bucks buy it. If you don't want it there are a ton of us that do. In fact I'll give you 100 for it right now sight un-seen :lol: I live in Spokane.

Welcome to the forum...and in the upper right hand corner of the page at about the 1 o-clock position is the search function. It will be your best friend for a while.

It should be pretty easy to tell if its an ea71 (1.6) or the ea81 (1.8) First look inside if its a dual range trans then its a ea81. Because as far as I am aware no ea71 can use a dual range tranny. I believe it is stamped right on the block. When standing at the front of the car its located on the passenger side of the motor facing the radiator. You will probably need to remove the plastic cover on the front of the motor. I had a ea71 in my 80 wagon but a buddy and I swaped it for a ea81 so I could have the d\r trans. Mine also has a 4" lift and is really fun to drive. And shes gettin a webber carb in a few weeks. Its easy to swap motors also mine only took about 1 day minus some slight tuning time. I would buy her if I was you.

Welcome Rollerball, Welcome to the club... you will be able to find parts here on the site (look in parts wanted section.)

So far I havn't heard anything that sounds spooky.

If it runs, great... if not $50. for car, $45. for title transfer or what ever?? Most people spend $100 a month on junk food etc.. you can turn this right around and sell it.... I live in Kennewick.

So, I decided to pick up this rig, I was hoping to get this rig for $50.00, but ended up paying $100.00. The seller once he noticed I had came back several times up the stakes a bit.

I towed it home since it was about 10 blocks from my house! Talk about nice! :banana!!

I hooked up a battery two the car and the starter; click, click, click. So then we put power directly to the starter, and it continued to click.

I was able to hook up with another USMB member that lived one city over from me (10 miles). He showed up in his 84 Wagon. And he got me totally acquainted with the car. Turns out we work about 2 miles from each other.

So far, I have done the following,

New Battery

4 New Spark Plugs

Changed Oil & Filter

Drained Coolant.

Put Premium Fuel 2 Gallons

New Starter here on Tuesday ( For all that care it was a gear reduction starter)

The Car:

In the car came the original bill or sale, from the very fist owner. The care came from Colorado. All of the service records including service and the proper increments. Both original service manuals, one for general maintenance and information, and the warranty schedule book. The car had 2 owners. Car has 129k. The car was only serviced at the dealership, and one independent Subaru mechanic who has serviced my Outback 2005 for the last 6 years. I showed him the service invoices and he told all about the car. In older man had owned it and took it in for service periodically.

Also found a microwave, jumper cables, tire iron and flashlight.

Hoping to bump this thing on Tuesday.

Thanks for all the help, a great forum!

129K miles? she's barely broke in! :)

welcome aboard, I'm sure you'll get it up and running, and then end up giving guys advice within a few months

I have an 84 wagon that I picked up for $300. dropped the tank and cleaned it out, replaced the fuel pump and filters, rebuilt the carb...and she runs great! gutless as hell, but by golly, it starts every time and runs and runs, I don't care how cold it gets outside.

I don't know what it is exactly about these cars, but the are just fun to drive. I get passed by Prius' (unless it's snowing heehee) and I'm still having a good ol' time

Edited by spazomatic
just cuz

Got the sooby running tonight. Ended up putting a new starter in, changed the spark plugs, oil, air filter and coolant. Cleaned the carb., charged a battery from my truck dropped it in. Replaced all the battery wires and terminals, put some air in the tires.

All the lights, and dash lights work, even the fuel door, and indicating lights.

All the orginal service manuals and warranty books were in the car. Along with orginal bill of sale.

$100.00 for the car. ( Seller upped the price once he figured out how interested I was

$135.00 for parts.

I'm sure more partrs are in its future.

Thanks for the help!!