Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5speed conversion questione

Yes. My 5 speed conversion from the manual 4 speed dropped the rpm at 60 mph by about 500. I can cruise all day on the highway at 70 mph (or higher) somewhere in the low 3000 range (I'd have to look, but it's certainly below 3500).

IM in the process of doing all of my conversion. Mine is more involved because its an 88 RX FT4wd trans.

You have to lengthen the driveshaft OR mount the ea82 driveshaft and center bearing setup in. My driveshaft is at the shop being lengthened today.

If you go with a turbo type trans you have to get axles made. I ordered mine from CVAXLES after Bratsrus1 did and liked them. Mine will be here any day now. They charge you 105 per axle cuz you dont have a core.

How much length did you have to get put on the driveshaft & is it the same length for turbo/non-turbo tranny? Will you get better performance gains out of the rx turbo tranny opposed to the non-turbo tranny? What about an xt6 mt?

Its a difference of around 9-10 inches on the driveshaft length. They dont lengthen it with the existing pipe, they cut the ends off and weld new tube in and then balance the new tube.

The conversion is not going to be that easy on an ea81T wagon cuz your trans tunnel is very narrow. Mine worked because I have a lifted vehicle but I don't know how much fun it would be to put in a stock height wagon.

Shawn & Carfreak who made measurments to determine how much length was needed, who did the weld work. Carfreak why didn't you just use the ea82 shaft, is the ea82 a exact fit. Ed do you have exact numbers. Why is shawn's entirely different, is it because he's using an rx tranny. I think Miles said that he installed the tranny without a lift. Carfreak & Ed do you guys have lifts?

I have a 5 speed in my brat, I got the Brat from Bratsrus1 who installed it. He stuck with the 1pc driveshaft as to keep from having any wobble issues because if you dont get the center bearing installed properly it will bind causing a shake in the ride.

I just pulled the driveshaft out of the brat and took it and my EA81 type shaft to a transmission repair shop that will modify driveshafts. I measured the difference just to know but I am leaving that up to the guys at the trans shop to duplicate my brat one exactly.

Hi Everybody This is Jerry, on the drive line for the 5 speed set up for the EA 81 wagons and brats it needs 51 inches of new tubing. On the hatch back it is 48 inches of new tubing. As far as i can tell thw turbo and nonturbo 5 speed tranny are the same lenght. SO remember those numbers. Thanks Jerry

As usual, Jerry is right. One piece is the way to go. The 5 speed will get you to 70 at about 3500 rpm. It makes hi-way speed much more tolerable. Much quieter also. You will actually be able to hear your radio at speed. The dual range part works fine, but have Jerry make you a conversion kit for the shifter. Then you can run all the stock console stuff instead of the several mickey mouse ways to try and deal with the problem. It is a great mod for 4 speed rigs, some day we will be out of 5 speeds though.

Originally posted by Stupidru

How much length did you have to get put on the driveshaft & is it the same length for turbo/non-turbo tranny? Will you get better performance gains out of the rx turbo tranny opposed to the non-turbo tranny? What about an xt6 mt?

an xt or rx tranny will install the same, but they both have 25 spline axles stubs, will not fit ea81 axles.

BUT, you would get that to work with either custom made axles(expensive), or an ea82 suspension conversion like on traqshwagon 5(if you can weld)

i had to make a carrier bearing mount for the driveshaft, i used an ea82 driveshaft for 5spd. any 5spd driveshaft will work for your choice of 5spd tranny