Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where is the Stop Light Checker located???

I am new, so if this post can be in a better place, please let me know.

84 GL wagon, 1800. right rear stoplight keeps going out on me. Every time I try and troubleshoot, it works again (one of these days). So the deal is dash light comes on to tell me it isn't working when I press the brakes. Being that it is one sided, and that the dash light warning comes on, I am thinking (according to schematic) that the problem lies between the lamp and the stop light checker. does this sound about right?

Does anyone know where this thing is located? e.g. - is it buried in the dash, or somewhere in the rear panel? yes I've changed the bulb, and it worked for a few hours and then goes on and off randomly. So I am the lucky one that gets to poke holes in the wire all the way home. wee wee wee. Knowing the location of this checker deal might make my job easier. thanks

Should be behind the passenger side rear access panel in the trunk area.... it's a cylinder looking deal. I would make sure the problem isn't in the bulb socket - otherwise it's probably wireing as you surmise. Here's the crappy part though - it's not limited to the circuit between the bulb checker module and the bulb.... the bulb check circuit will tell you the bulb is out if there is a break anywhere in the circuit for that side of the car. They probably share a power lead though so it's probably near there or close.... if the car has a trailer hitch I would start with any wireing associated with that.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

hi,

this sounds weird but the same issue happened to my 84 wagon, long to short the bulb was at fault . the filament burned and created an open no work, but if you hit the brake and it bounced just right it would weld itself back together , and work for a while , then would fail yet again ,, drove me nuts . finally after this happened many times the filament had done this so much that it visually looked very different and faulty even though it still worked most of the time. just one of the really weird things that happened to me.

The socket tested good, although the old light's 2 connectors on the bottom of the bulb were a little dented in. there is a trailer light and its spliced in with one of those snap on connectors that pinch through the wires, I don't know why subaru would use those. I checked that spice and it seemed to be fine. it goes to a square black flat boxlike piece of plastic before heading out under the car.

I will try and find the checker tomorrow and report back. thanks for the suggestions.

I have an 86 Brat and the same thing happened to me but on the left rear side. I noticed it usually happened in the winter when there was moisture in the air. I cleaned the wire connectors and put some dielectric grease in them and around the bulb base. This seamed to cure my problem. Make sure you feel a little pressure from, the spring pushing the connector up against the bottom of the bulb, there may be something going on there. I don't remember if there was a ground wire near by but make sure it has a good connection there also.

Hope you figure out the problem

Paul

well... the next easy fix:

the next time it started not working, I tried to trouble shoot and discovered that the other side's light was not working. So, I replaced that bulb and it seems to be working for a few days in a row. wild how 2 bulbs need to be replaced just days apart. thanks again for all your suggestions. I will let you know if I encounter any weirdness and fix it.