Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OB power steering pump questions

I'm replacing the power steering pump on my OB. The old one's off, the new one's on but the kit didn't seem to have two matching o-rings that go on the fill tube assembly. There is one in the bag of o-rings that looks like a close match but only one.

The rebuilt pump I bought came with temporary plastic fittings to seal the various apertures and when I removed the plastic bolt that sealed the outlet hole it had an o-ring on it that seems pretty close to the missing one on the fill tube. (it also had a flat fiber-washer gasket). The original outlet tube connection seemed to have no gaskets or o-rings on it when I took it off.

Would the manufacturer have used the o-ring for the fill tube on the temp outlet plug? Also, is the outlet tube fitting supposed to have any o-rings or gaskets?

Here is a link to an expanded view of the pump. In this pic the inlet tube assembly is not removed (where clamp #3 would attach) and the outlet tube assembly (#6+8) refers to #8 as a "gasket" but it looks more like a metal clip to me and is not either of the parts I'm referring to in the above question.

http://xrl.in/8qhx

I have another question about the belt but I'll ask that separately.

Thanks,

John