Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can some please help identify this?

OK. Still trying to figure out hose hoses on my intake of my 87 GL AWD Wagon with the freakin Hitachi carb. I can't find an FSM to purchase or download.. the diagrams I find on here are either broken image links or of the vacuum hoses with the air cleaner off.

First off, I know I can remove most of this stuff, and probably will, but right now I just want to get it back the way it was to avoid more problems... I cannot find out what the guy circled in red is... there was only one hose attached when I got it:

th_1289674803-1.jpg

My problems now are the 3 big hoses on the right side of the air cleaner (shown with black arrows, I know great color choice :rolleyes:). I've gotten different responses and of course I have a "before" photo with the hose, but can't figure out which one goes where... I think one might just stay open:

th_0df642a2-1.jpg

Looks to me like it could be part of your PCV system for crankcase breathing? Possibly a vacuum hose, but looks a little small... Sorry not much more help but that's where I would start..

Thanks... it definitely had the one hose attached, but the other nipple is a little too suspiciously clean to believe it is really supposed to be open, maybe a cap fell off.

The green valve is a solenoid valve - either EGR or EVAP purge solenoid.... route it accordingly. Neither are critical and you could just eliminate it and cap the components it goes to. You can run a new vacuum line from late-ported vacuum directly to the EGR valve so it will function for emissions testing. Everything else is superflous except the PCV system. Best thing you can do is install a Weber and route the PCV correctly. I have a number of threads where I have posted the correct routing including pictures.

GD

The green valve is a solenoid valve - either EGR or EVAP purge solenoid.... route it accordingly. Neither are critical and you could just eliminate it and cap the components it goes to. You can run a new vacuum line from late-ported vacuum directly to the EGR valve so it will function for emissions testing. Everything else is superflous except the PCV system. Best thing you can do is install a Weber and route the PCV correctly. I have a number of threads where I have posted the correct routing including pictures.

GD

Thanks GD.

Trust me I've learned a lot from your posts and thank you. No emissions in Florida luckily.. just looking to keep this as simplified as possible. Weber will definitely be on the list after I find out I don't need to rebuild the engine, or after I actually do rebuild it.

On a side note, just encountered recently... finally invested in a set of tap and dies.... your advise on chasing the threads for my intake manifold gasket job was priceless also :) Thanks again.