Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza L - '95 car w/ '96 hatch - wire up hatch lock solenoid?

Here's one where I'm just being lazy and/or not wanting to muck with the car's interior to trace where the wire goes. I figure some kind expert here might be able to tell me where to find the other end of a harness wire.

When I swapped the hatch from a '96 Impreza L wagon onto my '95 Impreza L, the new hatch had the lock solenoid. And since I used a '96-style hatch wiring harness, it had the wires for the electric lock. When I plugged things into the car's harness near the right rear tail light assembly, I noticed that the car harness had wires and pins in the connector to connect to those electric lock wires from the hatch.

So since the main place I miss the electric locks is in the hatch, I thought I'd wire up a switch to activate the solenoid that I got by swapping on a '96 hatch. But I don't know where to catch the other end of those wires I saw at the right rear corner of the car.

Can anyone tell me where to connect to them - hopefully somewhere in the console/dash area?

Thanks,

Bry

I figured out my answer on this one. The main harness that runs forward from the back of the car comes along the right side of the car roughly under the doors. I pulled off the trim piece that runs along the bottom of the right front door opening and also covers the kick panel area, and then I could see the big bundle harness that comes from the back. The two wires I want for controlling the hatch lock solenoid are "blue with yellow stripe" and "green with black stripe", and they come up to one end of the big blue connector. The mating connector has no wires to connect, (since my car didn't come with power locks) so here is where I'll need to tap into them for my added switch.

It appears that this pair of wires is used for both "lock" and "unlock", by applying the 12 volts in one direction and the other direction. So a spring-to-center momentary DPDT paddle switch should do the trick, with 12V and ground connected to the two center contacts, and the two wires that go to the solenoid connected to the outer contacts in a crossover pattern.

The reason this is worth doing to me is that while each of the 4 doors has a lock control on the inside, the hatch doesn't. so it's inconvenient when I happen to have my key in the ignition, car running, and I want to quickly get something out of the back of the car, I have to shut off the engine and take my key out so I can unlock the hatch.