Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

curious about what a 2.5 headgasket looks like

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Meeky Moose

Meeky Moose

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 05 March 2004 - 02:46 PM

well i have heard endless things about headgaskets, and i know the old subaru gaskets were semi metalic 1 layer gaskets..

i was standing at the parts counter at the local dealer and saw some head gaskets.. so i inquired to what they were for.. a 2.5 engine.. i said neat..

but i looked at them closely and they were 5 or 6 layered solid metal gaskets.. much like a turbo outlet gasket would look like..

i didn't ask any specifics.. but to me i can't see how one of those would blow out so easily..

just curious.. sorry if i'm beatin a dead bush here..

#2 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 05 March 2004 - 04:08 PM

and phase 2.
I have only seen them once but the phase 1 had several layers and phase 2 may have been a single layer if I recall correctly.
Emily???

#3 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 06 March 2004 - 11:28 PM

The original Phase I was a 3 layer affair. It had some black stuff on it around the cylinder holes (and some other places I think).

I'm not sure what the first and second revision of the gaskets were. I believe they were all 3 layer affairs. There was a detailed thread on this on i-club a couple of years ago.

The 3rd revision (and still the current one I believe) is a 4 layer affair.

I saw the Phase II head gasket when my engine was done (nearly 2 years ago, so it is probably not the current one). It was a single, thin, one layer metal gasket. There appeared to be something "extra" on it around the cylinder holes. That is, there was a slightly rough band with a slightly different metallic color at this point, about 1/8" wide.

I've just got my fingers crossed that mine will hold up. 120k kms now... so far, so good (97 OB).

Commuter

#4 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 07 March 2004 - 04:30 PM

hold out too. It is slightly harder to drive with your fingers crossed.

#5 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:44 PM

this guy has a bunch of pictures of the phase I head gaskets and notes on their construction. you can view it here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users