Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey I'm new to subaru's and need some help

Hi everyone I'm looking to buy an 87 gl turbo a local guy has for $350 with 137000 miles the only thing is he says that the front diff went out while driving home and was able to limp it home but now it won't move but the motor still runs really well. He said the local wrecking yard has a replacement for $50. I am wondering the front diff is inside the transmission right? So if the front diff went can you replace the front diff and the transmission still be in good running order?

Basically would the car be worth my while?

Thanks

Dan

$350 isnt bad for such low mileage.

The engine will be an EA82T. Check the search function for EA82T. You could pick it up, do a complete overhaul (if you have to pull the engine anyway) Do headgaskets and try to not run it very hard, keep up on the maintenance. Cannot stress that last part.

Welcome to the board, Im sure others will chime in with better advice. I love my how simple my engine bay is on my 1986 GL Sedan (non-turbo) that has a Carburetor, the space is so open, but I know of a 1986 GL-10 Sedan is the EA82T and that engine bay is cramped compared to mine.

Front diff failure is a nice way to put as "transmission failure" to make it sound less severe.

It could simply be a font axle has failed, or if in fact the axles are fine, then it has either exploded gears, broken shift fork, etc. But anytime someone lists Subaru with "front diff" failure, its more likely they are easing the terminology for transmission failure internal....

That engine, is not very good to begin with as well, so plan on spending money down the road on it as well.

Hi everyone I'm looking to buy an 87 gl turbo a local guy has for $350 with 137000 miles the only thing is he says that the front diff went out while driving home and was able to limp it home but now it won't move but the motor still runs really well. He said the local wrecking yard has a replacement for $50. I am wondering the front diff is inside the transmission right? So if the front diff went can you replace the front diff and the transmission still be in good running order?

Basically would the car be worth my while?

Thanks

Dan

Front diff failure is a nice way to put as "transmission failure" to make it sound less severe.

It could simply be a font axle has failed, or if in fact the axles are fine, then it has either exploded gears, broken shift fork, etc. But anytime someone lists Subaru with "front diff" failure, its more likely they are easing the terminology for transmission failure internal....

That engine, is not very good to begin with as well, so plan on spending money down the road on it as well.

Front diff failure IS common in this year/make - ask me how I know.

$50 for a replacement is good, but its a pita to change. The A/T more so than a 5spd (what do you have?).

If you can find another trans, it would be much easier to swap the whole unit. But a turbo trans is getting hard to find.

Well from what the guy told me is he was driving home and the trans/diff went clunk and he was able to drive it home I was kinda thinking that meant the trans was possibly done for also. I guess there is oil leaking from the trans also. I don't know about this now

the possibility exists that a front CV destructed but guy has a good chance of being right too.

the front diff and trans are essentially one unit so that's why you're seeing trans replacement. if you want to entertain opening up the trans and rebuilding the diff then there's a couple good threads about that.

most folks replace the trans. a $50 trans also sounds like a pull it yourself price, so be prepared to yank a motor out of yard which is a bit of a skill itself.

you'll want to know which transmissions are compatible before you go find one. there are gear ratio and axle stub differences...and auto/manual.

ok so there is another subaru here on the local craigslist in spokane and im needing second opinions on it also. i just dont know enough about subarus.

heres a link to the ad its an 88 justy and im wondering if there worth looking at?

thanks again

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2321757488.html

i think im going to pass on the other car with the trans problem just don't feel like tackling that big of a project.

the justy is kind of a strange bird for subaru, you should probably test drive it first for sure before getting set on it.

you'll notice very little discourse about it here. it's completely different in nearly every way than any other subaru from the 80's up....or even the 70's up for that matter for the most part. it doesn't really share any parts at all and i'm not sure what subaru was thinking when they made it.

maybe you can google or find a justy board referring to the common issues the justy has if someone here doesn't list them for you?

the justy is kind of a strange bird for subaru, you should probably test drive it first for sure before getting set on it.

you'll notice very little discourse about it here. it's completely different in nearly every way than any other subaru from the 80's up....or even the 70's up for that matter for the most part. it doesn't really share any parts at all and i'm not sure what subaru was thinking when they made it.

maybe you can google or find a justy board referring to the common issues the justy has if someone here doesn't list them for you?

The Justy is closest to what they drive in Japan. Its small, cheap on gas and the cargo space is decent for its size. It was the smallest car (at the time) that FHI could import into the US and be licensed for the road.

If your looking for a Justy forum, here you go.

http://subarujusty.proboards.com/index.cgi

I see you're in Spokane! Welcome to the Board! I'm barely across the border from ya. If you're not familiar with it... PULL&SAVE off Argonne is gonna be key. Google them and on their website you can find out exactly what Subarus they have out in the yard that might have the parts you need. Price lists, etc. as well. I'm guessing that might be where the $50 price quote came from. Anyhow... Best of luck to ya! :banana: