Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need new shocks for gen. 1 wagon

79 4wd - can new rear shocks and front shocks/struts be found with any ease or is this a modification thing now? I'm in AZ, checked BAP and many websites and stores to no avail. I hear I can get balljoints and tie rod ends, fingers crossed and dont mind paying a bit of shipping.

They're out there .... just have to hunt around. Ball joints are plentiful. Tie rod ends - fairly plentiful. Those rear shocks - less plentiful :-\ ... but you'll score soon. I've got a set that I bought from eBay about a decade ago that I'm hoping aren't bad from sitting for 20+ years.

Please post any results on shocks. Thanks and good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I ran across some old info. I believe that these shocks may fit the rear of GEN 1 wagons, sedans, coupes and BRATs.

Monroe Matics # 33097

ALSO fits:

81-87 Ford Granada

78-83 Ford Fairmont

79-86 Mercury Capri

81-81 Mercury Cougar

82-86 Mercury Marquis

Todd

• 1 year later...

Rock auto has the cross pin Monroe 5914 for the gen 1 Brat and that is wrong.

To add to this thread, the Monroe Matics # 33097 fits in the gen 1 Brat.

I found some Monroe Matics # 33097 locally and thought I would try them out.

5914 is closest to stock:

Compressed length - 12.75"

Extended length - 17.5"

Travel - 4.75"

33097 is longer but meets and exceeds the 5914 stats:

Compressed length - 12.25"

Extended length - 20.375"

Travel - 8.125"

Installed they are the same. The piston resides more in the middle of the tube though. I am not certain if this is a benefit or a hindrance but it reality that allows for more up-travel and down-travel as well. So will I hit a bumpstop on a hard bounce, probably. SO would any shock I guess. Would the wheel drop more if fully drooped, can't say yet. It could in theory if the torsion bar allows for it.

As my Brat is parked for a while I cannot corroborate the drive. Will hopefully soon.

Jon

photo1-3.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

Edited by O.C.D.

So the 33097's fit in the rear but what about the front? looking to order a full set for my gen 1 brat.

Fronts I am kind of lost now. I read in Mikaelda's thread that these work for gen 1 wagon's but I am not sure about Brats?

The picture below shows these bolts inside the springs? I really have no idea what these are for and even if the struts linked above will work?

strut.jpg

I am thinking no?

Anyone have input on these?

They are adjustment bolts...1gen brats have them...they should be mounted to a plate under the spring. From what ive found there are some replacements available for the front but they don't adjust...which would be fine but no-one ever lists a PN or anything.

Agreed - part numbers are secretly guarded here, lol.

REAR SHOCKS (BRAT) GABRIAL PARTS MASTER 82018

AC/Delco 520-275

Monroe LE10007

REAR SHOCKS MONROE # 1193 (MONROEMATIC)

I am also told that these fit rear GEN 1s

1981 - 1987 Ford Granada

1978 - 1983 Ford Fairmont

1979-1986 Mecury Capri

1981-1982 Mecury Cougar

1982-1986 Mercury Marquis

if im remembering right the fronts are oil filled meaning that the strut tube is the actual strut solution is a rebuild with thicker oil look into motercycle shock oil it comes in a number of different weights to suit your needs

The lift he got was from the springs, not the shocks themselves.

You could also just get koni inserts. Would be custom like the other ones but would probably be the best system possible. Konis require access to the bottom of the strut. I can't recall how much room is available between the bottom of the strut and the axle boot.

• 11 months later...

I was able to buy Monroe 33097 shocks for the rear of my 1979 brat from Sears.com for $14.59 each plus shipping.  http://www.sears.com/monroe-shocks-struts-33097-monro-matic-plus-shock/p-SPM890425114?sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL

I was also able to buy Subaru part# 721032260 front struts for my brat from SubaruParts.com for $118.76 each plus shipping.  The Part number on the old struts from my brat is 621052270, when I entered this at SubaruParts.com it was superseeded by part# 721032260. http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=621052270

Both the shocks and the struts have been installed on the brat and made a huge improvement over the old worn out stuff.

I was able to buy Monroe 33097 shocks for the rear of my 1979 brat from Sears.com for $14.59 each plus shipping.  http://www.sears.com/monroe-shocks-struts-33097-monro-matic-plus-shock/p-SPM890425114?sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL

I was also able to buy Subaru part# 721032260 front struts for my brat from SubaruParts.com for $118.76 each plus shipping.  The Part number on the old struts from my brat is 621052270, when I entered this at SubaruParts.com it was superseeded by part# 721032260. http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=621052270

Both the shocks and the struts have been installed on the brat and made a huge improvement over the old worn out stuff.

Nice, thanks for adding to this thread!

Pics of the front?