Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Unofficial "How to Lift your Impreza" Thread

Kostamojen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know if there is clearance for a 27.1" tire (205/75/15) on a 96 OBS with Outback struts? Will a strut top spacer be needed?

We are almost at the point where we can just try it and find out, but if anyone can speak from experience, it would be appreciated. I'd rather not install the struts only to find out that we need to remove them again and install a spacer, too.

I was with 205/70/15 on stock 98 Impreza struts. It rubbed a lot in the front, the back was a very tight fit. I am pretty sure that 205/75/15 will need trimming to fit with no rubbing.

Post some pics when you are done. :)

This gives me some hope. The wheel arches on this car are shot, so we can trim those down no problem. In fact, may places are "trimmed" already, in a manner of speaking, courtesy of PENNDOT.

Where specifically did they rub in the front? I'm hoping that it will be places that will be alleviated by the lift or easily "adjusted" with a BFH.

They rubbed a lot on the plastic under fenders, especially on full lock and bumps. It needed some cutting + zip ties and still wasn't "rubfree", but it was drivable.

I have this one pic from when i put them on: 10996360_10205387527665090_6970563905664

Now the car is lifted with 2" spacers (stock Impreza struts) and there is no rubbing at all.

Edited by buktop3

They rubbed a lot on the plastic under fenders, especially on full lock and bumps. It needed some cutting + zip ties and still wasn't "rubfree", but it was drivable.

I have this one pic from when i put them on: 10996360_10205387527665090_6970563905664

Now that car is lifted with 2" spacers (stock Impreza struts) and there is no rubbing at all.

This is what I wanted to hear! Thanks!

I also like your 4x100 lug pattern modification  :lol:

Edited by jmoss5723
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Old Newbie here. Great thread. Bought a '98 Impreza L wagon for daughter's first car (safe for Boston winters, cheap enough that she can bang it up a bit, and we can eventually turn it into a rally car!). OBS hood/spoilers and flat-black wheelcovers adding a dash of attitude.

Problem: Butt sagged and rear struts shagged; Daddy's back just as bad. Winter's coming, and don't want to dive in too deep at the moment. The front end is fine, and going all around with the 195/60-15 Blizzaks that came with the car. 

Question: Can I throw in Forester or Outback rear struts to solve butt-sag and maybe give the thing a little bit of forward rake that won't look too silly with the smallish tires? (I'm willing to upsize, though.) Do I need to change the trailing-arm brackets and camber bolts as well? I want to retain the sway bar and steady handling characteristics. 

I guess the real question is, what do I NEED to do to to fix the problem, and be able to sleep when she goes skiing?

Thanks!

Having done a few subie lifts now, I would think that it would look a little silly with just the back lifted. You would definitely need the camber bolts and trailing arm brackets.

The quickest and easiest solution is to just replace the rear struts with KYB Excel-G. If you want to bring the back up a little bit over stock, put in 3/8" strut top spacers that you can buy from a few vendors or make at home pretty simply and cheaply with a sheet of HDPE plastic from Amazon.

On a side note, having just torn apart an East coast Impreza to do a lift, I can confidently say that if the car is rusty, DON'T BOTHER trying to do the full lift. The number of things that will break is staggering.

• Like 1

Thanks Jmoss. I will defer to your expertise and my own laziness. I'll go for the KYB cartridges and spacers. That sounds like enough work to me, despite the balmy December we are having. I'll let bigger tires do the talking in the Spring. The car is surprisingly clean, given its Rust Coast life.

If you decide to make the spacers yourself (The plastic cuts really easy and it is really cheap). For the rears, use the steel plate that covers the strut top in your car for the template. You can make both spacers in under an hour with a band saw and a hole saw. You can do it with a hacksaw or coping saw and a big drill bit, too but it'll take a little bit longer.

Edited by jmoss5723
  • Like 1

This lift spacer template should really be in this thread. Just print, cut out, and trace.

One important note is that the rear spacer WILL NOT WORK on a 1st gen Impreza strut. If you are not swapping to Forester or Outback struts, you will need to use a different template for a rear spacer. The good news is that you car comes equipped with it's very own template: the steel plate covering the rear strut top.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero (2005 Subaru WRX Wagon)

After reading this through I had a question:

Can I use my stock WRX springs with just getting the Forester struts?

If I use the Forester struts and WRX springs will i need the rear sway bar brackets, trailing arm mount and front STI links? 

I was thinking when it comes time to replace my struts I would make the suspension change. 

Originally I was looking at a Ground Control kit but I am really about the look over total off road capability. 

Thanks!

I was with 205/70/15 on stock 98 Impreza struts. It rubbed a lot in the front, the back was a very tight fit. I am pretty sure that 205/75/15 will need trimming to fit with no rubbing.

Post some pics when you are done. :)

Almost forgot to put the pics up!

With the OEM plastic splash guard/mud flap things removed, there is no rubbing.

Wnkbcn8.jpg

hJJvMwz.jpg

5VR6FKE.jpg

nkKaMHO.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great info guys. I have a '16 WRX, and didn't see much if anything on the thread regarding the current model. For some background, I use it as a daily driver and want to maintain highway handling, but I frequently take it off-road and hate being held back by clearance limitations, but don't want to worry about rolling. I know it's a give and take, but might as well at least try and get what you want, right?

From my research, it seems that I have 4 options:

1) spacers ($200)

2) raised King Springs (1.1" front 1.3" rear lift) ($450)

3) raised King Springs, 1/2" front 3/8" rear spacers (anything larger would compromise handling I hear), and a rear subframe spacer kit ($800)

4) Feal Max Travel 441 Coilovers (I think these are the "Gravel" coilovers previously available) ($1550)

It seems pretty unanimous that springs are preferred to spacers in terms of performance, though lift amount is comparable. Obviously #3 would have more lift than #1 or 2, but some have advised against adding spacers to the King Springs to maintain handling.

The sales rep at Feal has advised that its Max Travel 441s could raise the car up to 2" above stock (although the website only says 1"). This would put #4 at the top of the list lift-wise with the added benefit of improving handling, but it is significantly more expensive. Also, there may be the added benefit of allowing for a bigger wheel than otherwise possible with a spring/spacer combo due to the longer length of the strut (unconfirmed).

Are there any other solutions that I should be considering (other than increased wheel size, which I will do after determining the new clearance after the lift)? And any comments/guidance/suggestions on the above options? Thanks in advance, will be sure to post pics.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be lifting my 2004 WRX with FXT struts & 3/8" saggy but spacers.

I will be fabing up some rear trailing arm mount spacers.  I see 1" 1.5" and 2" sets sold on line.  If i keep the stock mount, how much drop would center the wheel?  I have seen mixed reviews of the 99 OB mount, where some say it does the job while others wanted more geometry correcton.

I want to go with 215/65r16s Grabbers.  I hear they are still a tight fit.  Will they rub in the rear if I load up the car?  We head to the mountains with 2 big dogs, 2 kids, the wife, and a cargo box on the roof filled with our stuff.

I really like the look of the 215/65s but 215/60s are just under an inch smaller in diameter and may work better for us.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Running 215/65R16 General Grabber AT2. They are amazing. Very minor rubbing on front liners when turning hard while hitting bumps. I would recommend wheel spacers though because I barely have a finger width in between my tires and my springs. Hasn't caused any problems but better to be safe than sorry and it would give the stance a little more width and would look awesome.