Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coolant overflow question 03 OBW

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zaphod

Zaphod

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Utah

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:32 PM

What is the typical rate for coolant level to drop in the overflow? Before winter hit, it was below the low level, and so I topped it off, now it's almost below the low line again.

Also sometimes when the heater is on, and I exit the vehicle I can smell burning fluid of some kind. The dealer said it was oil that spilled under the engine.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks.

#2 Suzam

Suzam

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,198 posts
  • Wilmington, Delaware

Posted 05 March 2004 - 09:45 PM

Is this a 2.5 or 3.0? Do a search for "coolant leak" "head gasket" and read this thread http://usmb.ultimate...&threadid=12780
You might have an external head gasket leak if it's a 2.5, even thought you have a MY03 engine, the leak is worse in colder weather. The leak "seals" itself as the block and head warm up and snug together. Usually on the driver's side head at the rear cylinder near the firewall.

#3 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,795 posts
  • Texas

Posted 05 March 2004 - 11:00 PM

does it smell like caramel,sugar,sweet? If so, that is coolant.

#4 Zaphod

Zaphod

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Utah

Posted 06 March 2004 - 12:12 AM

I am guessing that this is an idication of a coolant leak of some sort?

Does coolant burn off normally, or is it supposed to stay the same level in the overflow?

I have the 2.5 03 OBW, this car only has 16,000 miles on it, could the head gaskets really leak this early?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users