Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subi beetle conversion

69satellite

Heres my poor little bug that I'm working on. Its a 72 std beetle. Here it is when I first got it home.

IMG_3116.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

0806101741.jpg

0806101740a.jpg

As you can tell it was a baja. And its goin back to normal. Picked up the 4 fenders, hood, engine cover, and front clip.

Car was $70. Parts were $150. Paper work to get a title (since it had no papers) about $30 if I remember right.

Edited by 69satellite

Then I picked up a 93 legacy that had been flipped on its roof. the smashed roof got old real quick. so i chopped it off to be able to get to work. $400 for that

0106111213.jpg

I don't have a pic of the motor but its the 2.2. and heres the wire harness outta it, 4.5hrs later.

0321111921.jpg

That about put me up to date. I need an awd manual transmission so I can get a subaru gear reverse ring and pinion kit. And also need to tear the motor down. It only had 103k on it but it ran upside down and shot the rings cuz she smokes bad, but made no noises thankfully.

That puts me at $370 so far. I will probaly regret keeping track of the cost, but i don't plan on selling this one. I had to sell my last one and I kick myself everytime I think of it.

Edited by 69satellite

I'll watch w/interest.

I have a few 2.2's and 2.5's around here.

My street legal dune buggy needs some new rings. Keep thinking of getting an adapter plate for traxnaxle and putting in the 2.2. I haven't even figured out if the crank spins the same way or if I gotta swap things around like many years ago when I did a Corvair swap I believe I had to. And this time I'd need to plum for a rediator. My engines are all EGR engines though.

I'll watch w/interest.

I have a few 2.2's and 2.5's around here.

My street legal dune buggy needs some new rings. Keep thinking of getting an adapter plate for traxnaxle and putting in the 2.2. I haven't even figured out if the crank spins the same way or if I gotta swap things around like many years ago when I did a Corvair swap I believe I had to. And this time I'd need to plum for a rediator. My engines are all EGR engines though.

i know kennedy makes adapters but heard the customer service was not so good. theres alteast one other company that makes the adapter kit but i can't think of the name. but the motor spins the right way. how long the trans will last is the real question. The adapter kits are around $700 if i remember right. I'm not goin that route though. I want to do this drivetrain once and be done and not worry bout the trans going out.

heres a baja build over on the samba you can steal some ideas from.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=397462

I used to use Kennedy all the time. Best selection and good folks to work with back in the 80's.

I figured they would have something for this.

On the Corvair swaps you had to baby reverse and just didn't use 1st at all was what I did.

I haven't messed with my air cooled's much the last 10 years so I forget thesamba is good for anything but adds.

Any other good websites you'd recommend for the old stuff? Might same me some time and trial and error.

I'm in the middle of putting an engine back together that's been apart over a year for my 71 bus. Parts of the fan/shroud and thermostat are a bit of a puzzle that I'm not sure I remember.

I used to use Kennedy all the time. Best selection and good folks to work with back in the 80's.

I figured they would have something for this.

On the Corvair swaps you had to baby reverse and just didn't use 1st at all was what I did.

I haven't messed with my air cooled's much the last 10 years so I forget thesamba is good for anything but adds.

Any other good websites you'd recommend for the old stuff? Might same me some time and trial and error.

I'm in the middle of putting an engine back together that's been apart over a year for my 71 bus. Parts of the fan/shroud and thermostat are a bit of a puzzle that I'm not sure I remember.

i'm a big fan of the aussies. they got alot of guys on there that know there stuff, though it is all rhd stuff over there. but they aren't pissy like the purist are on the samba.

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/index.php

Edited by 69satellite

There is a group called subaruvanagon on yahoo. They have a wealth of information in the group files. Tread lightly when you post there as they can get really snobish (read pita) if you talk about anything else besides conversions.

I would dig into the files first befor asking them a question.

I can pick up a kennedy adapter kit for $410. and a vw trans for $100 with axles. Clutch kits less than 200. So for what it would cost me to buy just the Subaru trans I can have what I need get it up and running. and then do the subi as time permits. Cuz I can blow up alot of vw trans before I have the $ that I would into the subi swap. I do want to do it one day but I just cant justify the cost right now. So the realization of this thing actually "running" shouldn't be as far away as I originally thought.